Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by carnivalanna

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by carnivalanna
Carnival Splendor
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 8C
        Under 3 1.0

Splendor is back baby!
OMG! I know it wasn't Carnivals fault but it took us 4hrs to get on the ship, and we got to the ship at 1:30pm. I am sure most people got there about 10am or 11am...imagine there wait! the reason for the long long wait was there were only 2 federal custom employees working. Only 2 people checking everyone off the ship and everyone on the ship. So the wait got backed up. No one wants to start a vacation standing in the cold for 4 hours. It took us an hour alone (on top of the 4 hour wait) to find the check in desk. This part was carnivals fault. . . . they set up desks outside the terminal instead on inside were there are lines and organization. I have no idea why they made us wait outside. We got on the boat around 5:30 and our room was ready! The lido deck had food out however my partner and I didn't partake because our dinner seating was at 6pm. We did make a trip to the bar, we needed a drink to start the vacation!

Food was hit or miss , I think that goes for every cruise. we ate breakfast on the lido deck every morning. The best thing was a bagel, grapefruit and cup of coffee. Everything else was cold. Cold eggs cold French toast ect.. I didn't try the omelet station but I heard good things. We hit the lido again for lunch, one day we had hamburgers from the grill, and they were great! one day a sandwich from the deli, I asked for extra meat and chesses and omg it was yummy! Another day I eat lido food, it was left over's from the night before. I didn't mind but they could have gotten more creative. The build your own burrito bar was GREATTTTT! I have a bean, chesses, and guacamole burro and yum yum yum! Then next day I had the Mongolian gril (waited in a line of 15 people for 45 min) if I knew this grill was here I would have ate lunch here every day! It is like a fire and ice restaurant. You get 2 bowls, the fist bowl you fill with your noodle type, the second with all the vegetables you want. (the vegetable choices were great and very fresh) then you pick your meat and sauce. They cook it right there in a Wok, give it to you piping hot! It was perfect! They had a midnight Mexican buffet one night, the min chimms were good, but everything else was too spicy for me, my partner loved it! The chocolate affaire was mid day and it was ok. For some reason there cakes are always gross. . . . They did have homemade donates that they dipped in chocolate, and good ice cream too.

Service: lets start with the positives. My room steward was awesome! He always filled every container I had with ice. My bar drinks came in fun glasses, if I left them on the counter dirty her washed them out. I always drink water in the middle on the night. And he noticed I had a glass by the bed. So at night (for turn down service) he actually filled my glass with ice water! Guest service was super friendly, the understood everything I asked for. Pool deck service was great, the waiters were fast with your drinks and ready to get you more without ever having to look for them. Now the negative.... Room service you suck! It took one and a half hours to get our lunch, mid night snack took one hour, breakfast was an hour late. We kept ordering it b/c it was really good. But how can they expect a tip when there service sucked? The main dining room: I loved our waiter; he was really friendly and talked about his life with us. I really liked him as a person. However, he only had 3 tables of 8 to deal with, he also had a busser.

One night it took 3 hours for dinner, as soon as we got the desert menu the lights turned on and we were asked to leave. (I took my desert back to my room) most nights dinner was 2 hours, but getting menus, waiting for bread, refilling water or getting A1 took forever. And he always blamed the other staff. My dad was so mad by the 3rd night he wanted to ask for anther waiter or new table. We didn't b/c on the 4th night we were his only table (other 2 didn't show up) and we were done with dinner in one hour. It was great. The lido deck food service: why don't they smile? They are so unhappy! My mom asked if she could get her bread toasted, they guy looked at her like "really?" tossed her toast in the toaster and walked away. Her toast popped up.... No one around to get it for her. So she walked behind the counter (that you are not allowed behind) and got it herself! I asked for a spoon b/c there wasn't one on the tray. I got the nastiest look.

The ship: Well it was the biggest cruise ship I have ever been on. It was cool, and a lot of walking. The pink thing didn't even make me look twice. I loved the main room, it was soooo big! My favorite party place was the adult lido deck and the Maracan room (SP). (With the zebra chairs) my balcony room was sweet! A lot bigger then I thought, same with the bathroom. Due to the fire the outside walking deck was closed a lot, at night you could go out one door but all the smokers were out there yuk! I think it was closed b/c there were a lot of exposed wires on the walls. The mini golf was a lot of fun, not just for kids. I never made it down the slide, maybe next time. the Spa was unbelievable! However, on the spirt and pride ship the prices were ok, a little high but not to bad. On the splendor it was high! Like 3 min spa stuff (facial, scalp massage and foot massage for $80 plus tip) the gym was nice looking...that's all I did was look though hehehehehehe.

entertanment: the show Vroom was nice, the kids loved it. THe magic comedian was so family fun i loved it! the adult comedanis were pretty good too. besides that i didn't really care for anything else. the singing and dance got old. i wanted to see a talent show. . . . but never found one.

To sum up my review, there was a lot of waiting on this cruise, more waiting then I expected. I didn't like it but there was 3000 guest I should have expected it. I wish the food was mouth watering all the time, but I am thankful it wasn't (then I would have to eat it all) side note, chocolate melt cake in the main dining room, I ordered one every night!!! I know im fat, leave me alone and let me eat. Hahahahaha I have to give it up to Carnival, being the second cruise out since the fire they did a good job. I can't wait to book my next cruise with them. My partner says you get what you pay for, but no one can beat carnival prices!

Publication Date: 03/10/11