Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by compostqueen: This Cruise Eclipsed Our Expectations

compostqueen
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

This Cruise Eclipsed Our Expectations

Sail Date: February 2011

We cruised on the Eclipse with another couple, boarding in Miami on February 26th. We spent the previous night at the La Quinta Inn Miami Airport East. This hotel is a popular one with cruisers, and it was packed. I would recommend the hotel for a night before or after cruising due to the location, but I would not use the shuttle to the port again. (The shuttle service from the airport to the hotel was excellent, though.) We were told to be in the lobby at 11:50 to get on the 12:00 shuttle, and we didn't get on a shuttle until 1:00. Had we known, we would have just paid for a cab.

The check-in process once we arrived at the port was short and sweet, and in no time we were checking out our amazing staterooms. We got rooms next to each other so that we could open up the glass dividers on the balcony, creating a large space where we could all sit together. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. We had rooms at the front of the ship (7110 and 7112), and I was a little More concerned about feeling too much movement, but none of us had any problems with feeling sick. And since we were way at the front, there was no hallway noise at all.

Service all throughout the ship was outstanding, and we enjoyed the entertainment as well. The food was very good, but we did not try any of the specialty restaurants that required additional fees.

Overall we had a fantastic time on the Eclipse. While I enjoyed each of the three ports of call, I really don't like the way the itinerary falls with lots of time at sea in the beginning and two full days at sea on the return voyage. I know why they have to do it, but I like the excursion days broken up a little more. Celebrity - we'll be back! Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/ Veranda Sunrise Deck (7) 1710

Extremely quiet cabin with adequate storage, a nicely appointed bathroom and plenty of space for two people.

The first port of call was San Juan, and we did our own walking tour of the old town area. It is a short distance from the dock, and you have to fight your way through the locals hawking their own tours first. Old San Juan is a fascinating place, and I would highly recommend touring the old fortress located a short walking distance away.

Read 1352 San Juan Reviews

The last stop was St. Kitts, and the four of us book scooters through Ride St. Kitts, also found through tripadvisor reviews. I will give a so-so review for this excursion as they did not tell us until the last moment that an additional $24 per scooter would be required (payable in cash only at the police station), and the fact that I believe they knew our day would be a wash out. We got poured on several times during the ride and had no rain gear along. It was a scary ride instead of an enjoyable one for me. The island itself is extremely poor, and the road we traveled certainly did not offer many pull-off, Kodak moments. I would choose a different excursion next time.

Our second port was St. Maarten, and my husband and I scheduled a tour with Captain Alan's Three Island Snorkeling Adventure, which comes highly recommended on tripadvisor. We had a blast, and I will be adding a positive review on tripadvisor as well. The waters here were the most remarkable shade of blue-green. The gorgeous blue sky looked dingy by comparison.