Disney Dream Cruise Review by matoroda: Room for Improvement

matoroda
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 1.5

Compare Prices on Disney Dream Bahamas Cruises

Room for Improvement

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

The ship is absolutely beautiful inside and out, the attention to detail way exceeded expectations. Staff were constantly cleaning and maintaining the ship. I feel it is necessary to enter the positives of anything before talking about negatives, so here goes:

I travelled with my 3 children ages 5,6 and 12, They were amazed when they first spotted the ship in the port and could not wait to get on it. When we finally did board, they were even more amazed at the interior, I have to admit that I was overwhelmed, it was stunning! We were advised our rooms were not ready and to go and have lunch, we eventually found our way, it was mayhem, but it was boarding day. I had packed in my carry on, Sun cream and swimsuits, they could not wait too swim and of course go on the Aquaduck, which they enjoyed very much. When the time came to go into the cabin, we eventually found it, and were very happy with our room, it was so clean and new and like the ship stunning, but cosy, was great to More have the verandah. We were very happy. The older children left me to unpack and went on a ship adventure, and found so much to do they did not come back until it was dark, they had such a great time, helping themselves to every kind of soft drink you can imagine, and numerous flavors of soft serve ice-cream which amazingly never ran out, they were so happy. We dined the first evening at the Enchanted Garden, which is beautiful, the children's menus were excellent, so much choice with healthy options along with the more popular options. My 12 year old decided he would like to choose from the adult menu, which was no problem at all. The adults menu was varied and exciting, and did not disappoint. We had the second seating (8.30) which worked well the first evening, after dinner we found currents which had a lovely view from the top of the ship. The bartender Sean was welcoming and very pleasant, it is a great place to feel the ocean breeze and never seemed to be too busy, the children are welcome there too.

We came back to the stateroom and the beds had all been turned down and the bunk pulled from the ceiling, and there were little chocolates with sleepy the dwarf on them laid on the pillows, all the towels we had used earlier had been replaced, as had the facecloths. We all went happily of to sleep. The bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in as were the pillows, the linens were a real luxury. The boys left early to have breakfast and go on another adventure of the ship, unfortunately the Princesses were in the atrium as my little girl and I went to breakfast, and the queue was awfully long, we missed breakfast in the Royal Palace, but made it to the Enchanted Castle instead, which was great, we loved the Mickey Mouse waffles, unfortunately, they did not have them again, we asked for them every morning. My daughter and I had a girls lunch at the Royal Palace, the 2 waiters were wonderfully attentive and made us feel very special, the lunch menu was varied, the meal excellent. The food in all the restaurants was varied and extremely good, even the all day pizza, sandwiches etc, were good. The Aquaduck was fun but a 45 minute wait, for a very quick ride. They left 4 Pirates of the caribbean bandanas on our bed the day of the pirates party, which I thought was a nice touch. After the pirates party and Fireworks, the Aquaduck was still open, with only a 10 minute wait, we did this 2 times, it was even more fun in the dark. Castaway Cay is amazing, beautiful beach, loads to do plenty of beach beds, life vests, snacks, drinks and great barbecue food with salads, characters everywhere, it was the best day of the cruise, so much to do. Stingray snorkel was cancelled due to high winds, we could still use the snorkel gear, floats and water bikes and our excursion payment was dutifully credited. The evening before we arrived at Castaway Cay they put in our room beach towels in a netted bag, they seemed to have thought of everything. I could go on forever about all the great things there are on the Disney Dream, but there are a few things that they need to work on:

The pools were very small, too small for a ship which seemed to be at capacity, my 5 year old, was jumped on several times due to the frightening amount of children in the pool, there are no lifeguards, so you have to watch your little ones like a hawk, as the area is so busy. She would be disorientated every time she got out of the pool and panic, I could see her but she could not see me, there were so many people. There are hundreds of loungers around the pool but none to sit on, I have no idea what time people had to get up to reserve the beds, but they were laden with only towels most of the time, no one sitting on them, I sat on the floor every day, I guess that was why so many adults were making the pools even more crowded, as they had nowhere else to sit. I think there has to be some kind of safety issue as to the amount of children in the pool at any one time. And as for the beds, there are staff around the pool, if they are not vacated within an hour of only seating a towel, this should be removed, to allow others a little relaxation?

The second dinner seating would have worked well, as we would see a show at 6.15 then have a walk about, then dinner. But sometimes the children were not served there meal until after 9Pm, by this time they were too tired and exhausted to eat or really enjoy the experience, also waiting for drinks would take about 20 Min's or so, there were huge amounts of staff, but they all seem to rush about looking stressed and overworked, something is not working in this area, as it should have been a dining pleasure as the rooms,tables and food were wonderful, but the service cold and unwelcoming.

Guest Services was a waste of time, I only went 2 times once to ask if they celebrated birthdays, as it was my sons 7th birthday, I thought they would send him a card or do something. Well nothing! so if you are celebrating a birthday set something up yourself. Last year we stayed at the Grand Floridian and they put balloons and a card signed by all the characters with a pure white chocolate Mickey in our room, why can't they do something similar?

Guest services were also extremely unhelpful when I reported that my sons IPOD Touch,which was his birthday present had been lost, they just advised us to check at the port when we got off the ship. They were very happy to accommodate me when I was charging the gratuities to my room! There was also a long wait and seemed to be alot of frustrated customers. Guest Services in my opinion needs alot of attention, they should maybe be reminded that if not for the guests they would not be there.

Anyway, my kids had a great time, apart from never seeing his IPOD Touch again my little man had a great birthday, thanks to me and the shops in the lobby. They can't wait to go again, and me, not so much, what a shame! Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Dream Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah Deck 8

Loved the Verandah, beds extremely comfy, linens beautiful, clean, thought it would be slightly larger, but was well equipped and cosy.

Too long too wait too board, very busy, no where to sit or eat, it took us over 2 hours to get on the ship, then they made us have a group photo, it was very unnecessary and frustrating, especially for first time cruisers. Also if you are a non U.S citizen you will board at least an hour later that your fellow U.S citizens who will get given a boarding number before getting on the Disney Bus to the port, I would have been number 8 to board, but had to check in at the port to receive my boarding number of 32. Crazy!