Costa Concordia Cruise Review by ibizasue: Fantastic Costa Concordia

Fantastic Costa Concordia

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Just returned from an 11 day med cruise on the Concordia. I too was a little worried about the reviews, but I have to say I had a fantastic time.It is a beautiful,clean and friendly ship. here is a quick review, hope its helpful.

1.embarkation/de-embarkation- Barcelona was fast & efficient.

2.cabins- I had an inside single cabin on deck 6, It was comfortable,perfect temperature,very quiet and kept spotlessly clean be my super cabin steward.

3.DINING. I had requested an early sitting, but when I embarked found my dining card said late sitting, not a problem,I looked in my daily programme to find the maitre de was on duty in the mdr to deal with requests, so went straight to see him, he kindly found me a seat on a table for 10 early sitting, with 4 couple from Canada and USA and another single lady from Finland, I couldn't have asked for better dinner companions.

Breakfast.I used free room service, had a lovely cappuccino ,orange juice and cereal More to wake me up most mornings. A couple of times I had a full breakfast up on deck 9. There were great omelette's or fried eggs to order,and a huge selection from bacon,sausage,tomatoes, waffles,pastries, croissants,fruit,cold meats,yoghurt's,cereals,juices coffee and tea.I never tried mdr for breakfast.

Lunch. you could choose main dining room or deck 9,but I found same things available but much more choice on deck 9. there were many different stations you need to have a good look round, but always lots of salads, carved joint, chicken,fish and meat dishes, pasta,pizza,soup of the day, loved the sea food special days..shrimp,salmon,mussels, paella,lots of fruit and deserts and of course ice cream..one station was always dedicated to a theme..Mexican,Portuguese,German,seafood,Italian.. of course one station always had burgers,hot dogs fries etc.

DINNER. loved the menus.. always big jugs of iced water waiting and a variety of bread, of course bottles of wines for those with x1 or other wine packages. the menu had choice of 3 starters, 2 soups,2 pastas, variety of salads, the maitre de made our table a special caesar salad on 3 occasions, because the Canadians said they loved it..and of course usually 5 main courses..included rack of lamb,fillet steak,duck a la orange,always a fresh fish and vegetarian option, you could order extra steamed veg,baked potato or french fries at any time, also you could order chicken breast or salmon if you didn't like any of the main courses. myself and everyone at our table enjoyed the food , found it well cooked and hot, quite a few times some of us ordered 2 main courses, especially the day king prawns were on the menu.Also the maitre de organised a lovely Indian curry for our table one night by request and 2 lovely chocolate cakes for a birthday and anniversary celebration. of course a selection of desserts and cheese and biscuits was always available.. I am afraid I sneaked off to the chocolate bar, I was addicted to the fresh strawberries and banana's from the chocolate fountain.

Beverages.

I chose and paid for the j2 package 2 weeks before my cruise,it cost 372 pounds for 11 days, it entitled me to any drinks from any bar up to a cost of 6.99.. which covered cocktails,speciality coffees, big choice of wine by the glass,soft drinks,cappuccinos,and spirits and liquors.Also all products from chocolate bar..cakes,chocolate fountain,etc. my cabin boy said not minibar..so I never bothered, just took cans of pop and bottles of water down with me at the end of the night.I have to say in the mdr on the first night the drinks waiter would only bring my house wine, so after that

for dinner I would go to the wine bar and take any bottle I wanted to dinner, and the bar tender just billed it as if I had had 5 glasses.. I had mateus rose ,asti spumente and some lovely Italian & Spanish red and white wines..

STAFF ON BOARD.

I found every member of staff to be courteous,friendly and helpful.Every time I got lost an Italian officer in uniform escorted me to where I wanted to be,all the Italian crew spoke English to me with a smile, I found out that English is the language that is spoken with all the service crew, and of course the service was great from all the bar tenders, waiters etc.I had conversations with most of the entertainers on the ship, Joan the singer in the londres lounge was a bubbly Scottish lady,

Alex was a great singer pianist from south Africa who entertained us every night in the BUDAPEST bar..also special mention to Orlando and Eric the very entertaining barmen in the Budapest lounge , they made my holiday.

most of the dancers and singers on board were British, they were very friendly.

entertainment.

I loved the shows in the theatre our dinner ran 6pm to 8pm, so went to Budapest before and after dinner for cocktails and then 9pm to the theatre for the show.. saw 3 fabulous full production dance shows, an acrobatic and lights show, 2 talent shows all were done in English.. then of course back to Budapest to dance the night away with Alex.. didn't rate the animation team much.. the 3 times I watched them, was a pool party..and twice in the berlino lounge.. I might just have been unlucky..

SAMARA SPA

I used the Samara spa twice,I paid 25 euros for using the facilities for the day , it was a lovely relaxing day, and I also had 2 massages from Silvio, he was very good.

EXCURSIONS.

I took 2 Costa excursions, the first was from civitavecchia was in Rome.Vatican city and roman forum.it was a 10 hour trip,English speaking. it was very informative,well organized and good value for money.ROME WOW.

from SAVONNA I took the high life of Monaco and Monte Carlo, it was booked as English speaking, but when we got on the coach we found it was to be done in Italian and English... it was very disappointing 2 hour of constant loud talking from the guide..in a language I couldn't understand. we were on a coach for 4 hours (there and back).I left the group as soon as possible my head was banging..and spent the time just enjoying strolling round Monaco and Monte Carlo on my own..if i had known before hand it was going to be multi language.I would have cancelled, and so would the other people I spoke to..

if you want to know anything else just ask....10/10 for my first Costa cruise.. Less

Read more Costa Concordia cruise reviews >>