Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by teraji: Celebrating Birthdays in the Caribbean

teraji
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrating Birthdays in the Caribbean

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Embarkation: San Juan has two cruise ship locations, one near Old San Juan and one about 10 minute taxi ride from Old San Juan. The Adventure of the Seas (AoS) docked at the later, which is actually better because there is less traffic and closer to the airport (10 min taxi ride) and beach areas. I arrived around 10am the morning on the departure date and met friends to visit Old San Juan before boarding the ship. Since the ship didn't depart until 8:30pm, I spent most of the day in and around Old San Juan. We boarded around 3pm. The AoS has a passenger capacity of around 3200, so expect to spend some time during embarkation. There were two lines, one to drop bags and the second to go through security and then check in. It took roughly one hour to complete the process. It may be a little longer if you go right at 1pm (start of embarkation) and shorter if you go later in the afternoon.

Food: The AoS had several options including traditional cruise dining, anytime dining, More premium dining and the buffet. We selected traditional dining late seating. The food was good but not excellent. We ate at the premium restaurant, Portofino, one night and it cost $20 per person. Portofino had excellent food and lots of it. I recommend it for at least one night. The dinner buffet had theme nights. We ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet and dinner in the dining room. Overall the food was average for cruise food with a wide selection.

Cabin: I had an inside cabin, which was adequate. I would recommend a balcony cabin if you plan to spend time in your room. The cabin was clean and in good condition with good cabin service.

Ship: The AoS was about 95% booked (3000 passengers) but it never felt crowded, except finding a lounge chair around the pool during peak time. There were four buffet lines and lines were short even during peak time. The main dining room was spread over three levels with entrances on each level, so no waiting in line to get in. It had a nice fitness center and spa. There were several pools including an adult only next to the spa (Solarium). The AoS had a couple of unique features, the promenade and on board activity options. The promenade had a large open area mid-ship that was several levels high and covered half the length of the ship. Shops, bars and cafes lined the promenade, which was also used as a meeting area for entertainment. The on-board activity options were extensive and included an ice rink, climbing wall, in-line skating rink, miniature golf (we had two tournaments), large basketball/volleyball/soccer court and golf simulator. There were several bars and lounges with different themes including an Irish pub, wine bar, two story nightclub, champagne bar and sing-a-long bar.

Entertainment: The production shows were the standard variety and Vegas shows. The shows were slightly lower than average for a cruise. The ice skating show was good. The theme parties included a 70's dance party in the promenade, and Caribbean Nights and Club Twenties parties outside on deck. There were welcome and farewell processions in the promenade on the first and last nights. They reminded me of the Lion King musical with the dancers dressed in costumes from around the World dancing and marching to music. The passenger participation Quest show and the Marriage show were also entertaining.

Port of Calls: I spend a little more time on this section (see port section). All the shore excursions mentioned below were arranged independent of the cruise. I always recommend taking a cruise shore excursion if you're not familiar with the island or get concerned about missing the ship. You can save a few bucks negotiating an independent taxi tour, but be sure to reserve plenty of time before your ships departure time. We docked at all the ports and RCI did an excellent job getting everyone off the ship even with >3000 passengers. I was traveling with a group of nine and most had never visited the port of calls on this cruise. I have visited all the port of calls at least once if not more, so the itineraries mentioned were for first time visitors.

Disembarkation: It seemed to go smooth. I carried my luggage off so I could disembark at anytime. It took me 10 minutes to get off the ship and clear customs. A taxi to the airport and I was on my way to New Orleans and Mardi Gras. Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 8 7384

Aruba: I’ve been to Aruba several times but none of the others had visited so we booked a two-hour island tour from an independent taxi operator at the pier. We had nine and the cost was $25/person including a drop-off and pick-up at Palm Beach after the island tour. The island tour included Oranjestad, Ayo rock formations, Aloe factory tour, churches, California lighthouse and drop off at Palm Beach. We spent the afternoon at Palm Beach first having lunch on the beach at the Hyatt. We then went swimming and finally a cocktail on the beach. The taxi tour picked us up and dropped us back in Orangestad. We did a little shopping and our final stop was at Iguana Joe’s overlooking the harbor. Great, strong tropical drinks severed in large wine crafts. Try their famous Pink Iguana cocktail.

Read 681 Aruba Reviews

Curacao: I book most our group on a half-day sail and snorkel trip with Bounty Adventures. This excellent five hour trip included sailing, snorkeling at two sites in the Curacao underwater national park, lunch and open bar. They picked up (9am) and drop off (3:30pm) at the cruise ship dock. Book in advance. Our trip including transportation from the dock was $78/person. Even if you don't snorkel, this is a fun trip. Many on our trip didn't even get in the water, but consumed a lot of booze. After the snorkel trip, we walked around Williamstad, one of the more scenic towns in the Caribbean, and shopped and stopped for a few drinks. Another option is renting a car and exploring the island.

Read 501 Curacao Reviews

Dominica: We took a private island tour with Bumplings Tour Company for $47/person (less if you skip Champagne reef). We visited Titou Gorge, Trafalgar falls, Sulfur Springs, Roseau, and Champagne reef for snorkeling. You can swim in the Titou gorge, one of the many Pirates of the Caribbean Deadman's Chest movie locations on Dominica. Trafalgar falls is actually two waterfalls. We scrambled down the hot water cascades and climbed up the cold-water cascades. Be warned, this is not easy. The boulders are large and slippery from the water and moss. The Sulfur Springs are small but interesting. You can buy mudpack minerals for facial treatment really cheap here. Champagne reef is unique because volcanic gases bubble up from the reef like a Jacuzzi. This area also has excellent underwater visibility, beautiful coral gardens, lots of tropical fish, eels and even sea horses. Also watch for large iguanas on the rocky beach. A small café at the beach entrance has good jerk chicken and great rumrunners made with the local spices including nutmeg and cinnamon. They also rent snorkel gear. We visited the produce and spice market back in Roseau before boarding the ship.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

St Thomas: We docked at Havensight about a 20-minute walk from Charlottetown. We took a taxi to Red Hook and a ferry to St Johns. The ferry runs on the hour, every hour and takes 20 minutes ($6 each way). The Taxi ride from Havensight to Red Hook is a fixed $10/person.

St Johns: We had originally planned to snorkel at Trunk Bay, but the US NPS closed the beach for snorkeling because the surf was too rough. So we took a taxi island tour ($25 for two hours). We stopped at all the scenic overlooks and at an abandon sugar mill. St Johns is not as developed as St Thomas and has some of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. We had originally planned to head back to St Thomas to snorkel or sightseeing, but we decided to get lunch and drinks at an island favorite, Woody’s in Cruz Bay. After a nice seafood lunch and too many drinks (the painkiller is my favorite), we took the ferry back to St Thomas and a taxi ride back to the ship. Did some shopping in Havensight and then back on the ship.

Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews