Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by seasickcruisefan: Great Multi-Generational Cruise on Splendor

seasickcruisefan
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Great Multi-Generational Cruise on Splendor

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This was Splendor's first sailing since the fire. We had booked way back in August 2010 and were worried that our cruise might be cancelled since we were the first one scheduled to go after so many cancellations.

Embarkation was smooth and took about 45 minutes. We went straight to the Lido deck for lunch. It was crowded, but the food was good. The kids were immediately thrilled with the pizza and ice cream. This was the first cruise for the kids. After that headed to our rooms. We had two inside rooms (one double and one triple) next to each other as well as one balcony a few doors down the hall on deck 8. Rooms were fine. I thought the balcony was quite spacious. Met our room steward Pedro who was fabulous thoughout the cruise.

We had dinner in the dining room. Our waiters seemed unfriendly at first, but greatly improved over the course of the cruise and eventually greeted us by name and brought the kids their favorites without being asked. Meals in the dining room More were all good though sometimes the food was just warm, other times it was hot. On lobster night there was a huge delay. I think it took about an hour for our entree to arrive. Many other tables nearby in the same boat (pun intended). This was due to the kitchen, not the wait staff.

Signed up for the kids program later that night (I had preregistered online so already had the forms completed). There was a long line the first day, but fine after that. I was very impressed with the kids program. The kids loved it (ages 10, 4 and 4) and always wanted to go. You could even drop them off before dinner for the night as well as leave them on-board while going ashore!!! Our 10 year old went to the 'Party On' party from 10pm-3:30am and rated it a 14 on a scale of 1 to 10. The youth staff even brought her back to our cabin at 3:30am so we didn't have to get up. Now that's service!

The kids always fought over the chocolates left at turn down, so I suggested our 10 year old leave a note for our cabin steward to leave a few extra and for the next few days we were greeted with a HUGE pile of chocolates each night onward...like we needed more food. Anyway, the kids were over the moon.

We enjoyed the shows and activities. The show Vroom was the best we've seen on a cruise ship. My Mom won $1000 in the casino! I booked shore excursions through cabosanlucastours.com and were VERY pleased. The Los Veranos zip lines were the highlight for us.

Ship was very clean and in great shape although I really don't care for the Carnival decor.

Overall all seven of us had a great time and service (except one grumpy guy at the Guest Services Desk) was excellent. Great value and bang for the buck. I wouldn't hesitate to book another Carnival cruise on one of their larger, newer ships. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Verandah 8287

Shower smaller than on the other Carnival ship we sailed on (Elation). Clean and efficient. Ample storage even with three people in the cabin.

We like Cabo. Grandma, Aunt and 10-year old went whale watching (I think the tour was called Cabo Escape) and really enjoyed it. Food and open bar was included. Husband and I just went to restaurants and wandered about. Aunt and 10 year old had pedicures and husband had a massage (MUCH cheaper in port than on-board). Weather was great. Tender service was efficient considering how many people were on-board.

Los Veranos zip line was excellent! Great staff and location. Highest rated zip line in PV and now we know why. Make sure you bring bug repellent. We used the towlettes, but still got bit before we applied it. Apply bug repellent before you get there!! Some walking was strenuous. Participants should be in good physical condition. They do have a few bottled water stations along the way which is nice! Guides have a good sense of humor.

Our tour included sightseeing also and we were given our own private driver for the day for the seven of us! That was so nice. He took us Tequila Tasing, Shopping, Eating and to the beach. Great day in PV!