Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by golfguy323: NCL Sky, Just the facts Maam

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

NCL Sky, Just the facts Maam

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Bahamas

We cruised on one of the Sky's first cruises from Seattle to Alaska in May 1999. I even won a bottle of milleniam champaign for winning the video poker tournement, so that cruise had good memories, but not this one.

We will not try to cover my disgust by listing some "good" features, but rather cut to the chase.

We were told we would be charged $12 a day (per person) for tips. That is $98 for our little cabin. So in doing the math, if everyone on board was contributing $48 to the tip fund, and the ship has a listed 2,450 guests, that is a total collected of $117,600. I fine sum of money to distribute to employees. But who gets this money? The ship has a listed crew of 750, so if the tips are divided evenly, each person would get $156 or a tip of nearly $40 per day. But, I was told not everyone got a tip. It was mainly for stewards and waiters and such. You can see where I'm going with this. The ship collects all this money, (ON DEMAND) and we, the contributors have More NO idea who gets what or even IF they get anything. I like the envelope method of tipping as I see fit.

The giant slide erected on the island looked inviting but upon investigation, I found if one wanted to use it, you were charged $20. I asked if that was a charge for the day and they said NO, it was for one stupid slide. Rip-off.

Someone wrote the slots were exceptionally generous. I wonder which casino she was playing in. 4 of us in our group fed the machines money without ever winning anything more than $50 or so. (Total lost = $2,000)

When the ship arrived in Miami, we were brought into a bearth other than the one from which we left. Therefore, our cars were parked in a garage about a mile away. The port had ONE (1) (NOT TWO, BUT ONE) small shuttle to get people and their luggage to the proper garage. We fought and crowded for an hour and a half to get our "disabled" party on the shuttle. Outrageous planning with absolutely NO notice from NCL about the change of docks.

We were told the ship had been through a several million dollar overhaul but I could not see where the money was spent. The beds were better in the Navy than on this ship. Just a thin mattress with no innerspring. Like a cot on legs.

We have been on NCL 5 other cruises and there was no mention of a Captain's Party or anything for Latitude members.

Alas, crusing seems to be quickly going the way of air travel. It used to be fun but now its a hassel trying to protect your wallet.

One last item is that we had planned on just walking around the Atlantis hotel in Nassau. Suprise, they've closed it all off. Well not ALL off, as we were kindly allowed to tour their casino. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 8092

Room 792 had enormous noise infiltration from Lounge Show below it. Especially boom boom noise from bass amps. Fortunately, only one show went past our bedtime

I can't believe we parked our car at Terminal C and walked with our luggage to the ship. Upon returning, we arrived at a different terminal and had to be shuttled to our garage with just ONE shuttle operating. Took 1 1/2 hours to get our "handicapped" party on the shuttle with all the shoving and pushing. After it left, it would be 20 or more minutes before it returned for another load. Outrageous service after charging so much for parking.

Read 163 Miami Reviews