Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by CTJoeCruiser: Quite a Gem out of NYC

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Quite a Gem out of NYC

Sail Date: January 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I think will be just my 2nd CC Review, and like the 1st, I try to provide the real information that prospective travellers need, a lot of facts and a few fact-based opinions! I read a lot of reviews that are just a list of complaints, several of which the Cruise Lines have a limited amount of control over anyway, e.g. long lines, other annoying passengers. I will not do this, and I hope to not see any of those reviewers in the future (since their experience was so poor, I expect them not to cruise again!).

I. Embarkation (B+) -- Perhaps we got there at the wrong time, but there was bit of confusion about getting from the porters/baggage drop-off, into the proper place to get through security, etc. Overall, a bit longer than expected, but I think they were also boarding both the 10-day Gem and the 1-night Jewel at the same time, so extra people = extra waiting ... expected.

IIa. Stateroom (A) -- As expected ... pretty much a replica of our Balcony on the Dawn. Clean, More everything present in the room ... just as we expected things to be.

IIb. Stateroom Stewards (A+) -- Raj & Maria were the best stewards we have had on any of our 5 cruises to-date. Attentive to special requests, and always a nice hello when passing them in the hallways ... above & beyond performance!

III. Main Dining (B+) -- I would say average. We ate in both the Grand Pacific and Magenta dining rooms multiple times on the trip. I would say the Grand Pacific staff was a bit less attentive and personable, but the food is exactly the same. Overall food was on the average to below average, comparing the 5 cruises we have been on. My favorite main dining room dish was the Wild Mushroom Risotto ... no question.

IV. Specialty Dining (A) -- We dined at 3 of the speciality restaurants on this trip: 1) La Cucina (Italian) ... great food, great service, best desserts on the ship ... 2) Tequila (Mexican) ... same as above, food was above expectations, and service was great ... 3) Orchid Garden (Asian Fusion) ... again, as expected, good selection of food, although not as good as the other two (we thought).

V. Entertainment (B+) -- We are partial to comedians, and less than partial about musical type shows. Bud Andersen (comic, who was also featured on the Dream) was as expected (funny guy), & the Cats Pajamas lived up to their top billing as a musical group.

VI. Bars & Lounges (A) -- Great selection of places to lounge & drink. We spent time at Bliss (Go Pub Crawl!), Bali Hai, & especially Spinnaker ... which continuously provided attentive and superb service throughout the cruise! This was definitely a top destination for us while on-board. Get there early for front seats, or do as we did, and grab the stools in the back by the bar!

VII. Cruise Staff (C) -- Well, everyone can't get good grades I guess! We had most interaction with a couple of the cruise staff in particular, who were responsible for the Pub Crawl, and some of the other sports related activities. "Fish" ... who apparently was going on break or to another ship when we got back to NYC, seemed a bit dis-interested in doing his job ... not really engaging with passengers, and just a basic unemotional way about his daily activities. "Chello" was a bit more upbeat and energetic ... would be happy to see him on a future cruise. The real disappointing news was that we heard that Sidney "Chocolate Thunder" was coming onto the Gem on the next trip out ... he was on the Dawn with us in 2010, and we just missed him by 1 trip ... oh well.

VIII. Overall (A-) -- A good cruise, a nice ship, great itinerary, decent food, decent people (more positive than negative), and a great time had by us! Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Nine 9020

9020 - Forward, Starboard Everything as expected ... if you are an "average" size person, this balcony room is more than adequate & comfortable for 2 people to enjoy!

(5.5)
We Visited: Adventure Antigua Eco Tour of the Island

Recommended: Awesome Day ... one of the best of any cruise I have been on. It was a great trip, with a great staff on the catamaran, and great sites for snorkeling, with a bit of history & knowledge (and some rum punch on the way back) mixed in!

Read 799 Antigua Reviews

We Visited: Both of the main historic Forts on the island by foot, Barrachina (home of the original pina colada), and, of course, Senor Frogs for dinner

Recommended: I enjoyed all three of the above, and would recommended 1st timers to San Juan to do the same

Read 1359 San Juan Reviews

We Visited: Orient Beach, via shared taxi

Recommended: Absolutely ... huge beach, lots of beach bars, chair & umbrella rentals, a great day indeed!

We Visited: St. John ... we grabbed the 10am Ferry from Charlotte Amalie direct to Cruz Bay & then got a shared taxi to Trunk Bay, a no-frills but beautiful spot to relax for the day, with nice amenities such as showers, bathrooms, and a nice snack bar!

Recommended: Yes, if you haven't been to St. John ... this is a great way to check it out (assuming you have been to St. Thomas before, which we had)

Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews

We Visited: Jost Van Dyke, via Catamaran from the cruise "terminal"

Recommended: If you haven't been to JVD, it's a must visit in my book. Although we had a short day there, and not all of the beach bars were open yet ... we enjoyed our time hanging out around the Soggy Dollar Bar. if you have the oppty to do a full day, including being there to see the lunch crowd come in from the other islands, it's a must do!

Read 501 Tortola Reviews