“Eclipse AQ Eastern Carib 2/26/11”
Cruise review of Celebrity Eclipse

chisoxfan Celebrity Eclipse 5 Eclipse AQ Eastern Carib 2/26/11
chisoxfan
Member Since 2007
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
First of all I have to say the cruise was outstanding in every facet. We were blessed with great weather which while expected in the Carribean is always welcome and enhances a positive experience. I mention this as it may appear negatives below balance the positives. This would be misleading as you will see from rating numbers. If the few negatives were fixed this would be a perfect ship for me personally and I am not sure this is possible nor would it please everyone.

Positives:

ship beautiful, new. Cabins (balcony) was well laid out and clean. Most striking was clever bathroom design which for the first time in our cruise experience did not seem cramped or uncomfortable. Nice raised bowl sink and curved shower with glass doors. AQ cabins had a nifty multi jet shower which was nice. AQ also had super large towels and robes which were a great touch. Flat screen modern TV with interactive functions and free new release movies was very nice. Balcony had nice lounger and footstool.

Overall a step above what we found on Princess Golden Class.

Food was well prepared and innovative in MDR which is a beautiful room.

Room service was timely and meals well presented.

Murano specialty dining was simply amazing. An elegant room, table preparation and wonderful service. I would put this up against many fine land based establishments.

QSine was innovative but seemed more a fun novelty than a place I would return to. It does add unique variety.

Corning Glass Works is a fun and interesting diversion.

Martini Bar and Molecular Bars are innovative drinking areas.

Negatives (or perhaps should be termed "nit-picks")

Dining in Blu and MDR had mostly side by side 2x tables which we find uncomfortable as they really don't offer any privacy. We dined at a four top table for two evenings and enjoyed it much more as we felt our conversation was not being monitored. This is a non issue I am sure for many but was a concern for us.

Pool chairs in the sun as always were at a premium. Better IMO on this ship to make the adult enclosed pool into an open pool to help ease this problem. Still chair availability was probably slighty better than we found on Princess or NCL.

Specialty dining was sold out on first day even though during our dining we saw many open tables at various times. Not sure why that was.

Steam rooms (2 aromatic) and tile loungers at Persian Garden area were limited. Only used once and all beds (8 I believe) were full. Not sure if they are always open but I would think not. Overall, was a bit dissapointed in the ammenities here and would not pay 179 week couple charged to other guests.

Celebrity Eclipse Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: AquaClass 2

Port
Old San Juan is a fun and cheap way to spend a few hours. You can walk around the town from the ship and they provide a free trolley. People were friendly and some interesting shops. Overall a better experience than I remember from my trips of years ago. The Cathedral is not to be missed and of course El Morro.

Read 2,274 San Juan Reviews
Port
Took a three hour van tour and was impressed with the history of the island (fort, plantations, sugar cane fields). Otherwise did not see some of the natural beauty I expected (sand beaches, snorkeling quality). Seems like the island is split between natural Carribean lifestyle and a gated segment of luxury (Marriott) resorts and Condos.

Read 1,042 St. Kitts Reviews
Walk from the ship to beautiful beaches and first class shopping in town. Beer is a dollar or two a can and the water a wondrous blue. People are incredibly friendly. What is not to like.

Read 3,322 St. Maarten Reviews
Published 03/07/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Celebrity Eclipse Review
Celebrity Eclipse Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?