Disney Dream Cruise Review by cruisegirl515

Spa & Fitness 5+
        3-6 2.0

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Had a Magical Time on the Disney Dream
I was on the February 24th, 3 night, Disney Dream Cruise with my husband, two sons (3 & 5), and my parents.

Embarkation: We stood and Walt Disney World for 4 days prior to the cruise, then we drove to the port. We arrived at the port around 11:30, parked the car in parking garage, checked in, and registered the kids for the kids club (you have to do this even though you pre-register online because this is where they give you the bracelets. My kids hated wearing the bracelets more on that later). We got boarding group 20 when we got there and were on the boat about 1:10pm. We headed straight up to deck 11 for lunch in Cabanas and our room was ready by the time we were done, and luggage arrived right as we got to the room.

Special Treat: We had the awesome luck to be on board when the Discovery was launching. We also happened to have room 9174 that was in the aft of the boat and watched the launch right from our balcony! What an awesome experience that was!!

Dining: We ate at Cabanas for lunch twice and breakfast once, I enjoyed both. There was a nice selection of food for lunch, pizza, chicken fingers, shrimp, crab claws, salad, lamb chops, carving stations, desserts, etc . . Breakfast they offered cereals, pancakes, eggs Benedict, hash browns, muffins, pasteries, etc . .the only disappointment was no omelet station.

The first night for dinner we ate at Animators Palate which was really cute. The kids got a real kick out of Crush and the other characters floating around. The food was just ok, very small portions.

The second night we ate at Enchanted Gardens, this was my least favorite restaurant. Again just ok food, very small portions. Nothing special

The last night we ate at Royal Palace, they had the best food of the three restaurants and it is beautifully decorated.

Our service team for all the dinners was very good. I have read a few reviews about really slow service in the dining rooms, but we had no issues at all. We had the early dinning, so if anything I felt like we were a little rushed to get us out before the late seating.

Entertainment: We loved the entertainment on board. Of course you have to love Disney to like the entertainment because everything is Disney. My kids loved seeing all the characters all over the ship. We saw all three main shows, The Golden Mickey's and Believe were really good, Villans was ok, but not has good as the other two shows. We really enjoyed the pirates show and the Buccaneer Blast (the fireworks) was amazing!!

Kids Club: My biggest disappointment was the kids club. You have to register your children and get them their bracelets before you even get on the boat. Both my sons hated the bracelets and after the crying and complaining about them I ended up cutting them off the first night, they are big, bulky and uncomfortable, not kid friendly at all. As far as the club, I left my 3 & 5 year old there alone for 1 hour, when I came back to pick them up my three year old was in a corner crying and the girl standing there said she had came on duty 10 minutes ago and he had been crying since she got there. She had no idea why he was crying and said the girl on duty before her had said nothing. When I finally calmed my son down he told me he had been running and fell and hurt his arm and had been crying ever since . .I have no idea how long that had been other then it was at least 10 minutes but not longer then the hour ago I had dropped them off. I felt that the kids are not watched there at all, it is a huge area and there is staff in each room, but they are there in case there is a major problem, there is no attention paid to individual children or any real organization, the kids run wild . .that may be ok for the 9 & 10 year olds .. but not for 3 & 5 years olds that they mix in . .I was very disappointed and will never leave children that young alone in Disney's kids club again.

Stateroom: We had an aft balcony, room 9174. The room was great. As most people said the divided bathrooms are great for families. We had an extended balcony that was really nice. Biggest complaint I had was the long walk from the elevators, but it was quiet.

Activites / Destinations : At Nassau we didn't get off, we stayed on the boat all day. There was plenty to do. We played a round of mini golf, which was a really cute course. Many people seemed to have the same plan to stay on the ship that day, the pool was crowded and the aqua duck line was 30 minutes all day. Even with the line we still went on the Aquaduck 2 times, by 5 year old loved it. My boys also loved Nemo's reef, they had a great time in there.

At Castaway Cay we spent the day at the beach and it was beautiful. We rented tubes which was fun in the water, my 5 year old liked pelican plunge and my husband rented a kayak which he enjoyed. We had a great day, there is something for everyone to do there. They serve lunch from 11:30 to 2 pm, burgers were dry, but the chicken and ribs were good.

Debarkation: Since we had the early dinner sitting, that meant we had the early breakfast seating on debarkation day. 6:45am breakfast was not fun getting to. They take you luggage the night before and then you take anything else you have with you to breakfast and walk off the boat when you are done. It was easy, and no lines. We were off the boat by 8 am.

Summary: The Disney Dream is a beautiful ship. We had a great time on the cruise and I would love to try out the Fantasy on a longer voyage next year. Unless they change the kids club I will not leave my children alone there until they are much older. The food overall was good, but not great, that said no one got off the ship hungry.

Publication Date: 03/07/11