Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by navysquid: 10 Night Southern Caribbean

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

10 Night Southern Caribbean

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean

My wife and I had cruised twice before, both on RCCL, on the Mariner in Nov 03 (initial voyage out of Port Canaveral) and again in Apr 03. We had a seven year hiatus - you know grandkids and all. In any case, we decided to book this cruise to celebrate our 40th anniversary which was actually the previous June. We splurged a little and booked a Grand Suite on the hump - wow, great. On our previous two cruises we had booked a balcony and then a junior suite - my wife really enjoys a tub. Being in the Grand Suite we were able to use the Concierge lounge - what a great surprise. The concierge and bartender were just wonderful and we met some great people who had cruised many times including one couple on the 64th cruise and another couple that had spent 72 days in a row on one cruise (talk about B2B).

Everything was as great as we had hoped it would be except for one item I'l mention later. We chose the "My Time Dining" and it was great. We did book dining times before embarking More but don't think that was necessary. Except for one night, we had the same waiter and assitant waiter who were both great and sat next to some of the same people that we bantered back and forth with on most of the nights. The service and food was excellent.

We also booked two nights in Chops and it was as good as we remembered from Mariner. The rack of lamb was great.

We really like a mix of at sea days and port days. There was a day at sea between Ft. Lauderdael and Labadee and another to Cartegena and then again between Puerto Limon, Costa Rica and George Town and another to Ft. Lauderdale. We'd like to have a sea day, port day, sea day type routine but with the ports so close to each other that's unlikely.

The only real complaint we had was that it was difficult to get a lounge chair up by the pool, whether the open air pool or in the solarium. It seems like people must go up early, put towels on a chair and then don't come back for hours later. A lot more chairs had something on them than there were people in the pool.

I guess one other item was a little disappointing between our previous cruises on Mariner and the Jewel and that was the workout area. It seems the Mariner must have taller window because when on the cross trainer you could easily see out to the horizon. However, on Jewel when on the cross trainer I was staring at the top of the blinds and the wall. Not as enticing to work out as being able to watch the sea go by.

The staff we dealt with were all excellent. Our cabin attendant put happy anniversary decorations up one day and the ship delivered chocolate covered strawberries one night, roses another night and a bottle of wine another night. We had pre-purchased a wine package and had a frenzied month of wine tastings before the cruise to find out which ones we really liked. We ended up giving a couple bottles away at the end of the cruise to two couples that we met in the concierge lounge that either lived in Ft. Lauderdale or were staying on board for the next cruise. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas Grand Suite Deck 10 1534

This was our first Grand Suite and it was on the hump next to the royal suite. don't think the balcony was much bigger than the junior suite we had on Mariner which was also on the hump. Two chairs with a small round table and a lounge chair, no room for any more. Convenient to the concierge lounge, just across the ship. Lots of closet, drawer space and a great bathroom, however, my wife thinks the counter is a little high for her - she's 5 ft 1 in tall.

Cartegena was interesting but the ship was only in port from 7:00 AM until 1:00 PM so kinda rushed to see La Popa and old town. Not sure why so short because it's only 260 miles to get to Colon, Panama. Didn't have time to walk up and tour the old fort - only a photo stop.

In Colon, we did the Miraflores locks and a Embera indian village excursion. We didn't book through the ship but were able to add on with a cruise critic group that had booked privately. The dugout canoe ride to the waterfall and village was neat and about 30 - 45 minutes long.

I'd been through the Panama Canal twice while in the US Navy so it wasn't new to me but very interesting for my wife. The new locks for the bigger ships should be really interesting to see when it is completed.

In George Town, Grand Cayman we were just going to do a lazy day at 7 mile beach but ended up jewelry shopping - oh no!!! What the heck, it was for the love of my life.

We found out you could hop on a bus for $4 to get to the beach rather than pay $12 for a cab.

When we were in there previously we had done Stingray City which we had booked privately. I'd highly recommend it.

In Puerto Limon we also joined a cruise critic booked excursion which went to the Tortuguero Canal tour which was nothing special in my mind - boat ride on the canal, saw a few birds and a sloth.

From there we went to the Veragua Rainforest and did the aerial tram - the road is pretty rough and bumpy but enjoyed this part of the tour and fortunately it didn't rain in the rain forest that day. The exhibits there were pretty interesting. After the rain forest we went to lunch not sure where but the food was good and the beer cold.

After lunch we went to do a zip line, I think it was Las Brisas since we didn't end at a beach and they drove us up to the first platform with a tractor. It was toward late afternoon and there were only five of us from the ship and the two zip line guides. The others on the tour, including my wife, went to see a banana plantation while we zip lined. My wife said the banana plantation was pretty interesting in what goes into really processing bananas prior to being shipped out. I really enjoyed the zip line, hadn't done it previously and definitely would do it again.