Costa Victoria Cruise Review by pamperedcruiser: Great Service, Food & Amazing Ports Visited

pamperedcruiser
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Costa Victoria Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Great Service, Food & Amazing Ports Visited

Sail Date: April 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Embarkation was smooth and generally quiet. The area for waiting was a bit hard to find but it was a pleasant enough wait which wasn't very long as we arrived early and had plenty of assistance from friendly Costa staff on the ground.

On board the ship, we were not able to get in our cabin right away so we looked around. Not as impressive as Luminosa yet as the days passed, the friendly service of the crew made up for th somewhat annoying attitude of many Italians on board. We thought we were the only ones who noticed they didn't like to line up, a bit pushy and smoked all the time, anywhere they liked, etc..But then we got into talking with a number of people, two Canadians who also complained about the excessive smoke in the lounges (even if there are non-smoking signs on many tables). These Italians (we could hear them talking in their language too!) just take any ash tray and put in any table they liked! So there was a problem with crew not being able to properly enforce More this rule that only tables with ash trays are for the smokers.

In all the ships we've cruised on the smoking areas are all outside the decks. I cannot understand why in Costa ships (Victoria & Luminosa) we found smokers are the kings and queens!

Also it was tedious hearing around 7- 8 translations for a simple instruction, despite their claim that English was the main language for the crew. Just because it is an Italian ship, Italian was always first to be catered for. I thought it is an international cruise. The English speakers seem to be the minority, even in the bus tours, it was extremely excruciating listening to all the translations (we would always be grouped w/ other nationalities speaking German, or Dutch, etc..) what happened to a common internationally accepted language- English? I am sure they can understand English!

Anyway the beauty of the ports/places we visited compensnated for the frustration with the annoying Italians on board. Hubby noted that they seem to be mostly country people out on a cruise of a lifetime as they didn't really showed much finesse and sophistication- track pants, cargo shorts/pants even on smart/formal nights. It was unbelievable! I don;t mean to sound like a snob but htat is why there are information available for the dress code, behaviour, etc.We also witnessed how some of t hem "scold" or talk arrogantly to the crew. I was a bit perplexed and embarrassed for some of the crew who had to endure their arrogance! I was also a victim, I was getting some drink and an older Itlaian man, speaking Italian took my hand and just shoved it near the ice machine..so rude!1 He just muttered in Italian. I was shocked and was tongue tied! I wasn't in the habit of cursing so I just told my husband about it after a while and not that time as i didn't want our trip to be spoiled by that rotten old man! Less

Read more Costa Victoria cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Costa Victoria Review >>

Cabin review: Costa Victoria Oceanview Nabucco Deck

The cabins were adequately field with storage space, amenities and generally clean each day. The crew were very friendly and attentive to our needs.We were happy with our oceanview cabin. We were right to choose it and not an inside cabin as we anticipated a lot of awesome views in this trip!

Athens via Pyraeus proved a bit tricky for us as we got a bit lost finding a bus to Athens's city centre. But we were saved by a friendly old Greek who helped us get the right bus and also he made sure we knew where to go to see all the lovely and popular sights.

There were plenty of people in Athens as expected and we regret not actually climbing up the Acropolis but we found a huge stone made of marble where we had sweeping views of the city of Athens so we didn't miss out on the sights!

It was still a steep climb just to be at the foot of the Acropolis so on the way, we passed by the Plaka square and bought Greek breads and sweets.

We also got a few more souvenirs like colourful tops and pashmina/scarves for me, shoes and sandals for the boys and even several pairs of sunglasses and bum bags all at reasonable prices. The boys had a fun time oggling at the huge selection of knives, even guns, etc. at the market we passed through on the way to the Acropolis!

We almost got late going back to the ship- we got disoriented due to the heat and the distance we had to walk to get back there. It was a bit tricky but thankfully we got there on time!

We love Corfu. It was just just as I saw in many photos and more! The breathtaking views, the ancient and historical places we visited- the monastery, the beaches, etc..I cannot stop raving about them! Do visit this wonderful island. You won't be disappointed!

Read 269 Corfu Reviews

Dubrovnik was charming, an ancient city with its old and new areas. The walls were a must see and must climb! We did enjoy the sights, the historical significance, etc. However, the touristy prices and some smelly alleys in the old walled area were a letdown for us.

Mykonos was very windy when we arrived but we still had fun! It was surprisingly quiet when we were there and we enjoyed playing with the waves on the shores of the port. We also loved exploring the shops, admiring the blue and white tavernas, the lovely bounganvilleas creeping up the roofs of the shops/houses and also the colourful pashminas, souvenirs and of course friendly shop keepers.

I love looking at the white stonehouses and amazing water views!

I would happily go back to Mykonos if given the opportunity. Shame it was getting cold for us so we didn't stay on to enjoy the night life, bu instead went but to our ship late afternoon!

Read 375 Mykonos Reviews

The line for the cable cars was so long we ended up riding the donkey up Santorini town!

It was daunting at first but it proved to be the highlight of our Mediterranean trip! Thanks to my youngest who suggested it. A bonus was we each had a photo on our donkey and paid just 20 euros for them after just less than an hour trekking up the hilly steps of the donkey trail!

We also enjoyed shopping among the whitewashed shops and thoroughly had a blast with the charming souvenirs, friendly locals and amazing sceneries!