Oosterdam Cruise Review by AloraDanin: Average Cruise on Average Ship

Average Cruise on Average Ship

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

The Oosterdam is a pleasant enough ship, but not one to WOW. Our room was up to par. The food was average...certainly nothing to get excited about. The ship itself is quite nice, but not out of the ordinary. The staff were friendly and helpful.

We did not like the fact that with a party of ten we had to eat at either 5:15 or 8:30. They could not accommodate us at any other time. Anytime dining would be better if it was actually anytime dining.

The ports of call, Peurto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas are all easy to navigate.

On one of the shore excursions we were told, emphatically, that there would be a toilet on the bus. After getting up early and tendering in to Cabo and walking to the bus, we were told that there was no toilet on the bus. This meant that I could not take the tour. I was quite angry, as we had specifically gone down to the shore excursion office on the ship to double check that there would be a toilet on the bus. But in their More favour they refunded my tour and my husband's tour (even though he did take the tour) and the woman who had given me the wrong information came to my cabin and apologized personally.

The onboard singers were above par. The magician was average, but Joel Mason, the Elton John impersonator was fantastic. We have seen him on a previous cruise and were thrilled we got to see him again. Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam Large Fully Obstructed Oceanview Upper Promenade 1108

1108- Spacious for a regular outside cabin. Bed was comfortable. Reasonable amount of closet space. All in all we would travel in that sort of cabin again quite happily.

Once you're tendered to the port it is a nice place to wander, with lots of local market stalls and a high-end mall at the end of the boardwalk.

We were a little nervous wandering around Mazatlan after the recent violence, but we encountered no problems.

Read 292 Mazatlan Reviews

A pleasant enough town to wander around, but really not much to recommend it.