Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by shamrock47: Great Expectations

Great Expectations

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

My wife and I are both 56. We chose this cruise from an online travel agency because of the package price. The high costs of air travel to the Med. had previously been a turn off. My wife just would not justify spending as much as our cabin fare on the airline.

I am sure I will be flamed on the boards here for this review. In baseball terms, "I calls it as I sees it".

This "inclusive" package was excellent. Air arrangements from/to Atlanta was fine. There were many of us booked through the same agency/package. We arrived in Barcelona and were bused to the H10 Marina hotel. The location and quality were fine. Breakfast buffet was included. We wandered around the city on our own since we had done some tours during a previous visit. This worked out very well for us. We got caught up in some neat local experiences.

Busing to the ship was a little confusing and could have been easily avoided. A bus pulled up,opened its doors, and a mass of people headed for it. More Later more buses arrived and everyone was accommodated.

Ship check in was painless. There was a line, but all was efficient. The agents were sanitizing the counter continually. I liked that.

The ship was beautiful. Our mini suite was the best I have seen. We did not see our room steward for quite a while. We learned that this was her last cruise. It appeared she did not really care about doing a good job. Okay, but not good.

I titled this great expectations due to the beauty of the ship and cabin. After the beauty, the rest just did not measure up.

So much of a cruise experience is hit or miss. Ours was sometimes a miss. My wife can accept much more than I. She would rate things much better. I do tend to be more critical. Hey, I do expect a good experience.

Food tended to be okay. It would have been nice to have waiters that know what a dish is, or bring the dish as ordered. We ran into this a few times. We are not so sophisticated that we understand all the terms on the menus. As we found out, neither are the servers.

Lunch menus in the dining room remained the same throughout the 12 day cruise.

The menu in the Blue Lagoon is always the same.

Hours of operation sometimes presented a problem. We were at times unable to find a place open (except Blue Lagoon). One might say "so much for freestyle".

Entertainment: I do not enjoy production shows very much. I know many of you love them, so discount my review. I heard comments about poor wardrobe (worn). I would not notice this. The comedian was quite funny.

The excursion package that was included was quite good. I overheard many positive comments.

So, package with air, cabin, excursions was very good. Ship and cabin beautiful. Service, food, entertainment not up to other cruise lines (in my humble opinion). Less

Published 03/06/11

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jade Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Cabin review: MA11040 Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Read All Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony (MA) Reviews >>

Again, the package excursion covered the highlights and was great. Be prepared for lots of curves when you leave Athens for other adventures. Boy, did I get motion sickness.

This was the substitute and we were just fine with it. Worked out very well. We explored on our own the first day. We had a full day excursion on our second day. Weather was not the best, but we had been very lucky up to this point.

Read 403 Istanbul Reviews

Great experience. Never expected so good.

Read 180 Izmir Reviews

We were here at a historic time, with the Libya situation so near. I talked with a shop keeper and she was quite concerned about the events. The pilots had just defected and flew to Malta, I believe.

Our included excursions did the highlights you might expect. We had done an independent excursion on a previous visit. This one was even better.

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jade Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Member Since 2002
75 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X