Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Vellamint

Cruise Date: February 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: BA

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Sorry but they lost us....
My title says it....they have lost me, my family, my friend and her family. We will never (I know, I should never say never but...) book another NCL cruise. Having sailed on 4 of the major mainstream cruise lines I see no reason to spend my money with NCL again.

First the good. Food in the main dining room was very good. The cabin was very clean. The balcony was fabulous. Embarkation/Debarkation was a breeze from the Port of Miami.

Now the bad. The buffet had mostly the same food at night.

Our meal at Cagneys was so salted that I could not even finish mine....

We never met our stateroom attendant-I dont even know what he/she looked like. This was unusual to me.

My friend ordered a $42 platter of International Cheeses and breads. We were told it would be an hour..fine. After almost 1 1/2 hours we called and were told it must be on its way as it is not in the kitchen....you know where this is going right.. 10 minutes later we receive a phone call saying it will be even longer so (since they refused to deliver it without us being in the room) my friend asked them to put in the refrigerator and we will call for it when we came home that night as we wanted to go out...no problem (they said). Later that night (about 11:30) we called for it....and waited and waited....when it did come at 12:30 it had saltine crackers instead of the breads, no sugared walnuts, no carrots....it was ridiculous the amount of time and effort that we had to put in to this NOT FOR FREE room service order. We did complain and was asked if we drank wine...when told we do not the woman said there will be something nice waiting for us in our cabin tomorrow....well there was not! Not that we were looking for anything...we just wanted to $42 charge off which they did. But dont say that and dont do it.

Waiting for an elevator the handrail CAME OFF IN OUR HANDS!

My friend got LOCKED in the public bathrooms with another woman for 10 minutes because there was no handle on the inside of the door....they had to scream and bang until a man came and opened it from the outside.

I felt ripped off on the private island day....ordered a drink and the waiter WROTE IN a tip line.....I was pretty sure it was included in the price of my bahama mama $10.50 but the receipt is different than the one onboards so I gave a $2 tip....only to find out from the next HONEST waiter that it is in fact included.

If you ask for a bottle of water is a one liter bottle for $4.50....no smaller choice.

The variety show the first night was so amateurish that I felt sorry for the people performing in the beginning. The violinist was fantastic.

The only personnel that looked happy on the ship were the waiter, bar tenders and reception.

Did I mention the "bed of torture" as me and my friend named them? I am NOT kidding.....someone else recently reviewed them as firm. They are more than firm. They are a "Bed of Torture". After the 2nd night we asked for something to be done....I was hoping for a new or newer mattress but we got egg crate. We (after stopping at reception) were told they will bring it....but they didnt....we had to go down to reception again. It did not help as it was the thinnest egg crate possible. I do not consider myself spoiled but I am positive that RCCL, Disney and Carnival had real beds. I looked under these and they were like Scout Camp Cots.....picture the aluminum legs of those old folding tables...thats what we were on....no box spring...just flat metal....it was bad.

Even though I knew ahead of time that the shampoo/conditioner/hand soap came out of dispensers I didnt realize how tacky that makes the bathroom feel.

I now understand the phrase I have read here "being nickel and dimed to death".

Sorry this had to be such a bad review but I am back now from my 9th annual Moms (No husbands, no kids) vacation and am so disappointed I could cry. Another whole year to wait and no good memories to remember.

Publication Date: 03/03/11