Crown Princess Cruise Review by Md/dc Cruiser

Member Name: Md/dc Cruiser
Cruise Date: February 2011
Cabin Category: BB
Cabin Number: R239
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Never Again
Having sailed with Princess before, I thought I would give them another try. What a mistake! From the accomodations to the food, what else could go wrong! PLENTY! Too many people on a ship that can't provide.

You must be 45 minutes to 1 hour to find available seating at a show. Comedians are very mediocre at best. Bar drinks are not what you expect and are very pricely. The music on the ship gets an A+++++. Gordon the band leader is exceptional, and the Jazz Cats are a favorite. The ship needs more Gordons. The staff, meaning cruise director and some of the DJ's seem to be very insecure and in the need for constant attention and affirmation. In fac the cruise director had some of her relatives on the ship the week I was cruising and she seemed to be spending her time giving them the attention that some of the passengers paid for. They are wanting to be the center of attention and focus.

You are nickled and dimed from the moment you walk onto the ship, and this will last the entire duration. I know that the crusing industry has taken a "hit" with the current economic status, but in desperation, trying to make it up with high priced, coffee drinks, wine tasting and the like. The adult space on the ship is NOT free, but rather you pay for a half or a full day to use these facilities, which should not be charged, when they allow others to "save" chairs at the pools for hours on end. Where else can you set?

The food is not high calibre, medicore at best. I have had better breakfast food at IHOP or Denny's. There is mayhem everywhere in the Horizon and Caribe Court buffets. People roaming back and forth, to and fro not realizing that several of the stations have the identical food selections. It takes forever to get a drink, or clean eating utensils. You are best to get your own. In the formal dining rooms, the sevice and food quality is poor as well. The seating takes forever even when you have a reservation and you request certain specifics. Don't bother. Sabatinis has gone down hill! What used to be a treat, is a waste of time and money. They should pay you to eat there. Service is very slow at best, and the food portions are VERY small. They bring you hot dinnerware, but the food is cold and tasteless. I cancelled my reservation to the Crown Grill, as I didn't want to invest any more money on food that possibly have been just as mediocre as other venues. The International Cafe is the best delight on the ship, but is not staffed adequately. You will wait for service, but the food is good, and the $1.50 spent on the Gelato is well worth it.

The Cabins are clean, but our bed was in need of replacement. You could see the wear and tear of the mattress from just looking at it. We told our cabin steward who was FANTASTIC,and he did his best to remedy the situation. Other than him purchasing us a new mattress, there was nothing else that could have been done. The ship is beautiful, but they take for granted that there are services that need to be provided to make consumers happy and for them to stay competitive in the cruising industry.

For anyone who has traveled Princess in the past, the service, food, and in this instance the bedding in my cabin were not at all satisfactory. For over $1,000 you expect high quality and I can say that in my situation, this was not even medium quality. I doubt that I will sail Princess again. I work too hard for my money and when I take a vacation, I do expect good service, great food, and Yes, a comfortable bed. I do believe that I had an original mattress, that had NEVER been replaced. Sleeping on the floor or the balcony was probably a better choice.

Also, don't pay for the airport/pier-pier/airport transfer. You will be nickled and dimed by the drivers for tips, and in our instance the driver took our bus full of Southwest passengers past the terminal (3 terminals past) and we were responsible for taking our bags back! How bout that for convenience?

Publication Date: 03/01/11