Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by flipsy618

Member Name: flipsy618
Cruise Date: July 2010
        10-12 3.0
Service Not Rated

Nice cruises but with minor flaws
My family of 5 (3 kids, 2 adults) are experienced cruisers. We have sailed 4 cruises in 5 years so we expected a lot from this cruise.

Embarkation was a breeze and the lines moved quickly.

We got on the boat early and we were told that our rooms would be ready at 2:00PM. My two sons stayed in an interior room while my younger son and husband stayed in a Balcony room. The design of the room was unlike any of rooms we've stayed in. The sink was not in the bathroom and it splashed so we made sure we didn't have any of our electronics near it. On the first day I unpack all our suit cases. The temperature was boiling in our room so I made the room colder. It did not make any difference and it was not good unpacking So I called the repairman. Nobody came though so I called again and found out that they never requested the the air conditioner to be fixed.I also did not like the layout because we were all cramped in and the extra bed was an uncomfortable couch.

We went to the Manhattan Room for dinner. However, we could not eat there because we didn't have the right attire. My kids were not wearing beach attire. They were wearing a polo shirt with plaid shorts. I thought the whole concept of 'FreeStyle Cruising' was to not have certain attire and everything. We were told to eat at the second dining room which allowed our kind of attire. The menus are the same though. The food is very good. There is small menu which is different everyday and there was the menu which was the same everyday. We got tired of the same menu everyday. The only night we went to the Manhattan room was on formal night.

The buffets were great and one of the best we've ever had on a cruise ship.

The Entertainment was great. However, I did not like that you had to book every single show on the TV. The Blue Man Show was amazing and very cool. The singers impersonating celebrities were great too. The stand up comedian was very entertaining. The comedy show was not very funny.

Ports

St. Thomas was fun. On the night before there was a letter stating that a 14 year old girl had fatal injuries from a cross fire in Coki Beach and that we were allowed to cancel any tours. We still decided to leave the cruise ship. We went to a private beach owned by a Mariott hotel. It was a great beach with tons of big waves.

St Maarten. Was a new port to us. We took a tour in a van. He was very nice.

Bahamas, This port was fun and we took a water taxi to the Atlantis. We did not stay in the water park though.

My younger child and his cousin decided to go to the kids club for 2 hours before the Nickolodeon Slime Time Live. My son told me that the video game center was being used for something else and that we had to play games in the other room. My son hated it because it was stupid athletic games that he played in school. In the last 10 minutes he got to play video games on his own console. He did not want to go back. He did not bother me though.

My husband did not like the pools because they were salty and small with lots of kids around. He also didn't like that the Villa Suites took almost half of the ship away. He also needs to jog a lot and he was not happy with the limited tracks. My younger son loved the water slides. He liked the Epic Plunge but he said that it was not worth the 30 minute wait. The Orange and Purple slides were really fun and refreshing though.

I personally do not like NCL because most of the choices all cost extra money even though the ticket prices were expensive.

Publication Date: 03/01/11