Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Excursionhappy: Ports were great - Celebrity not so much!

Excursionhappy
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Ports were great - Celebrity not so much!

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

Background Information - Myself and 3 friends flew first class from Ontario to Italy 2 days early, touring there first. From the get-go, my experience on the Celebrity Equinox (2nd cruise with this line) was disappointing.

Hotel Info (if any) - Best Western Canadian was right downtown. The elevator was way too small. The breakfast was awesome and the rooms serviceable.

Ship Info - Celebrity Equinox

Service - I personally found the staff unfriendly and pretentious.

Port & Shore Excursions - The only outstanding one for me, was Alexandria. We went on the 2 day excursion to Luxor (Valley of the Kings), Karnak Temple, Cairo, Giza, etc. It was out of this world! Too much to take in in 2 days but well worth the approx. $1,000 for the excursion.

Summary - This was the second cruise with Celebrity for myself and my friends. Two of my friends received flowers and a welcome back letter. When I enquired as to why I was slighted, I was told it More was because they had spent more money than I did on the previous cruise. Yes! I'm not making this up!! I mentioned my dissatisfaction in my survey and in a follow-up letter to Celebrity. I have not received so much as an acknowledgement. I will never cruise this line again!!

Stateroom- Stateroom 8106 facing the front of the ship, directly below the bridge. It was incredibly noisy. The sewage system made a loud rumbling noise. Less at night, but enough to ensure little or no sleep (even with earplugs). It took 5 days and numerous complaints before they finally moved us. I had to threaten to sleep on the couch in front of the Guest Relations desk with a sign before they finally acted to correct this.

Dining - was unremarkable. The service was very good. Again the maitre d treated us rudely when we arrived late from a ship excursion.

Entertainment - Not my cup of tea. Only attended one show which was of any interest to me.

Disembarkation - Went very smoothly. Although pre-arranged transfers are recommended as there were no taxis or buses available. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Oceanview Stateroom Plaza Deck (3) 8106

Our cabin looked out over the helipad. There were very few ocean view rooms. More floor room than most. Due to design, the sewage system caused the room to be very noisy.

We took a 2-day excursion to Luxor and Cairo that was fabulous. Be sure to book the excursion well before sailing. This was well worth the $1,000 expense and was very popular. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable, 5 star hotels were utilized for meals and overnight accommodation. It was a whirlwind trip with airfare to Luxor, then back to Cairo included. As well as entry fees to the Valley of the Kings, Luxor and Karnak Temples, Cairo Antiquities Museum, and the pyramids of Giza. Dress code is important to adhere to. Temperatures in Luxor were between 90-105 degrees so dress accordingly. Much cooler at night of course.

A disappointing port of call. Lots of stores, yet another old fort and expensive coffee.

Read 271 Corfu Reviews

This was a very disappointing port. For religious persons, don't get your hopes up too high. There were six ships in port at the same time and 180 bus loads of people all descended on the old city at the same time. Sardines have more breathing room... Because others on the tour were inconsiderate and didn't show up on time, we missed 2 of the intended sites. We arrived in Bethlehem with 5 minutes to spare, but we had to run from the parking lot, up a steep hill to the Church of the Nativity. Needless to say, the elderly did not make it. We just got inside and they told us to leave. The 2 1/2 hour drive back to the ship after stopping for far too long at the guide's favourite store, was grueling. The excursion staff actually refunded 30% of the cost because it was so disappointing.

We took an excursion to Pompeii by bus. It was a very good and informative trip. Not for those unable to walk and traverse uneven ground.

Read 652 Naples Reviews