Coral Princess Cruise Review by skipperh: VERY Disappointing!!

Coral Princess 3
Member Since 2009

VERY Disappointing!!

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I'm an experienced cruiser -- 18 cruises/6 cruise lines, including several luxury. Princess has always been one of our favorites, UNTIL this last cruise. What happened?

a. NONE of the windows were EVER washed!! Not in the common areas, like the panoramic Horizon Court, bars, walkways, nor in the cabins! In fact, we could stand on our balcony and watch other guests wash their own windows!! Nor were the plexiglass balcony shields ever watched so it was hard to sit on the balcony and watch the sea! We DID finally tell our cabin steward to clean the windows, which he did regularly, but only after telling us it wasn't done because it would just get dirty again!!

b. I look forward to eating the seafood on cruises, and was sorely disappointed. Cod serve 3x in 10 days (!), including 2 consecutive nights!! Red snapper served as breaded fish sticks! No sea bass -- oh, except for the luncheon menu! On formal night they originally had orange roughie scheduled (whoopee!), but More changed it to something unknown that the waiter didn't recommend! On formal night!! Lamb and veal were served nearly every day, which hasn't been the case in the past.

c. Service/attitude of staff wasn't up to par. I upset a waiter because I asked for a fork for eating my pie! He provided a huge spoon, and proceeded to tell me that many people like to eat their pie with spoons! One of the tour cruise staff was upset when I asked how long before our tour was called, and I had to calm him down. I had Horizon Court waiter's shirt sleeves in my food because he'd reach across to fill coffee cups.

d. Any Time Dining is "not" when you have to wait 45 minutes to be called! Particularly because they apparently were allowing people in fixed dining to use ATD (though they denied it). The maitre'd assured us "everyone" was checked, but in fact NO ONE EVER checked our dining preference during our 15 day cruise.

e. I read the ship writeup of amenities for mini suites! I wondered what ship that was, since it certainly was NOT Coral Princess. No slippers, no appetizers, no pillow choices (and the pillows were so wimpy that lying on 2 barely felt like 1; I literally had to double them in half to get support), etc. Bottom line, you got the extra square footage, and that was it.

It's been 4 years since my last cruise on Princess, and it's certainly degenerated into something I don't recognize. Not sure I'm inclined to repeat this cruise line again, and I'm a platinum member Less

Published 02/27/11

Read more Coral Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Coral Princess Review >>

Cabin review: ABB431

I liked my cabin -- the balcony was perfectly located to give a panoramic view of the Panama Canal transit BUT it took the full force of any wind (no windbreak). However, I really do dislike the ships with the staggered decks where you can see everyone else, and my balcony overlooked a lot of people.

The city is beautiful; the tour was NOT! I took the "standard" City Highlights/Fortress tour offered; so did 400 OTHERS!! UNBELIEVABLE!! The buses used held about 25-30 people each, BUT there were 17 buses for this tour alone, and ALL buses only went to 2 LOCATIONS!! PLUS another similar tour tour had at least 3 busloads (nearly 100 people) and visited several of the same places! So, how do you see the sites when you're tripping over 16 other tours of 30 people each, AND it's hot, AND the city people are totally obnoxious in trying to sell their wares, and the tour guides don't do anything. People got lost from their groups, tour guides were hard to find (ours was very short, and didn't carry anything for us to find him in a crowd). Bottom line, this is a city worth seeing, but NOT on these tours. More than one of us headed to the bar upon return to the ship! Guess the ship made out again!

Loved Costa Rica; took the Corobici Rafting tour, which was wonderful. Relaxing, lots of wildlife, and one of the BEST meals on our entire cruise (tilapia/rice/beans). Absolutely outstanding.

Skip X