Norwegian Star Cruise Review by sunnycruiser79: Mexican Riviera on the Star

Mexican Riviera on the Star

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My husband and I just returned from a Mexican Riviera cruise a week ago. We sailed on the NCL Star. Because of the tight economy, we saved some money and booked in inside cabin.

The Ship: For a ten year old ship, the Star is very nice. A few carpets could be replaced, but all in all it was in great condition. On the pool deck, the lounge chairs are on terraces which was nice. It was quite windy during the cruise. The best place was on Deck 13 at the very front of the boat. It was warm and not very windy.

Room: Our room was as inside cabin on Deck 10. They have painted the doors of the rooms on the starboard side of the ship one color and the port side another color. I sometimes get confused inside the ship, so this was very nice. On the room number plaque, they have put a wheel with the words "Welcome", "Do Not Disturb", "Turn Down Room", and "Make Up Room". It was a convenient way to communicate with the room steward. The bathroom seemed to be a little bigger than More on the Carnival Dream which was nice, but the closet space was slightly smaller. The TV was very old, small, and had broken buttons. There was a safe and a mini-frigerator. The biggest issue I had was that the small desk in the room blocked my tiny isle around the foot of bed, so I had to crawl over the bed everytime I got in and out of bed. I have one big complaint about the linens. The bottom sheet was not fitted, it was a flat sheet they had tied knots in the corners off to try and keep it on the bed. It came off every night and drove me crazy.

Food: The buffet was great for a buffet. I thought they had a large variety of foods in the buffet. Most of the buffet staff were not very friendly. I never had any staff come around in the buffet to ask for drink orders. The desserts all around were disappointing to me. I didn't think they were very good. The ice cream and sherbet were the best. The chocoholic buffet was disappointing as well. We ate dinner in the main dinning rooms most evenings for dinner. The menu is the same for both dinning rooms. The Aqua was a little more low key and causual than the Versailles. We thought the service was a little better in the Aqua as well. The food presentation was like an everyday restaurant. I expected the food presentation to be more artistic. One night on the pool deck they had a beautiful fruit buffet with fruit carving and very unique food bouquets. We never ordered room service because we didn't want to eat on the bed. We did eat at the Endless Summer restaurant. The service was great. The food was ok, but not fabulous. We do not drink alcohol, so we bought a soda card for the cruise. They carry Pepsi brand soda including rootbeer and Mountain Dew. The bar staff and drink waiters around the ship almost always seemed put out when I ordered a soda. If you were in the lounge, theater, or on deck and I ordered a soda, they would either never come back with it, or they would bring it to me several minutes later never to return. It cost the two of us $100 for the week for the cards and I was disappointed with service. I know the waiters don't get an automatic tip with the soda, but come on we were paying $6/day for a few cans of soda.

Entertainment: One of the biggest pluses for me on a cruise is the after dinner entertainment. We went to all of the shows. I thought I would tell you about them.

Day 1 "Band on the Run": Medley of 70s music. It was entertaining, but not amazing.

Day 2 "Extreme Vegas": I was lead to believe that this show would be a mix of all sorts of Vegas acts. It really is magic and illusions show with some bad comedy. It was entertaining, just not what I expected.

Day 3 "Hyponotist": If you have seen one, it is the same. Funny though.

Day 4 "Shout! The Mod Musical": It was boring and not worth my time.

Day 5 "The Second City": Improve comedy, it was mostly scripted, but entertaining. The also did a Murder Mystery luncheon the 2nd day at sea which was great. I would recommend it. The food was good and the improve was great. They interacted with the crowd which was fun.

Day 6 "Elements": Fantastic combination of modern dance, aerial ballet, and magic. It was fantastic. You must go!! I was impressed.

Day 7: "Variety Show": This was a two part show. The first part was Justino and Daniela from Extreme Vegas juggling and hula hooping. The second part was the aerial ballet team from elements completing amazing balancing acts and more aerial ballet on scarfs. The second part was incredible.

We also went to many of the game shows and activities. The Newlywed-Not-So-Newlywed Game Show was pretty funny. The Quest Game Show was a little crazy and funny, but definitely for adult audiences only. The have a dance party where you are supposed to wear white which was fun. I actually got my husband to dance with me. The Bingo is fairly expensive and is electronic. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 10165

The Cabo port is a tender port. The Star used their own emergency boats as the tender boats which I thought was interesting (they were a bit crowded though). It only took a few minutes to get from the ship to the pier. We booked an excursion through the ship. Everyone who did this got the first tenders to the pier. If not, you had to go to the lobby early in the morning and get a timed tender ticket. The port was fairly nice and it was clean. There was one shack that had baby lions you could hold as fund raiser for a wild animal rescue. They were so cute!!! It cost $35 to hold two lion cubs for about 5 minutes and get your picture taken with them. The excursion we booked was the Up Close Whale Watching on the Zodiak boats. Each boat hold 15 people. It took us a little while to find some whales, but they put on a show when we found them. It was a amazing!! The swam under and next to our boat. They were surfacing less than 15 feet away. It was unreal. I loved every minute of it. I wish it would have been a little longer, but it was incredible. I would highly recommend this to anyone. I never got wet and wished I had brought my nice camera. I would have still carried it in a water proof case until we found the whales. After the whale watching we hired a boat taxi to take us to Lover's Beach. We arranged with the driver a pick up time prior to getting off the taxi. It was a very pretty beach. The waves were too big to go into the Pacific side, but we did swim on the bay side. The only irritating part of the day was all of the locals who came up to the taxi and "helped" me out wanted a tip. They would follow you asking for a tip. I could have gotten out on my own, but they were in my way. They never helped my husband out, only me. The sunset was pretty as we pulled out of port.

I was a little worried about going to Mazatlan, and it lived up to my concerns. The pier is in this smelly industrial area of the marina and they have trams that take you to the main tourist area. I had booked a Stone Island tour through the boat. NCL used a company called Tropical Tours. From the pier, we took a tram to another part of the dock which was stinky and falling apart. We got on boat that took us to the entrance of the marina and their lighthouse, then turned around and took us to a small pier directly across from the cruise ship. We got off and got onto another tram, this one pulled by a smelly tractor. The tractor took us through this very poor town. We saw some dogs by the road that looked like they were starving. Then we arrived at this "private" beach and restaurant. The tour brochure said that we could choose between a 30 minute beach horseback ride or a horse drawn cart ride. We chose the horseback ride. It ended up being about a 15 minute ride on these poor horses that didn't seem like they were taken very good care of. We went on the beach all of 200 yards then up on a dirt road by the trailer park. Lunch was ok, nothing special. They did have a beach, but with the beach come dozens of vendors who would bother me time and time again. We took a walk down the beach to get away from them and started to notice these green worms all over. I still don't know if they are parasitic or not (and of course I had bare feet). We did ride on the banana boat a few times which was fun. The best part of the excursion was at the end when we left, they had a pinata we got to break. I wasn't very impressed with Mazatlan and will probably never go back.

Read 290 Mazatlan Reviews

We booked the Extreme Canopy tour through NCL. It was awesome. From the pier we took a boat across the bay (about 20-25 minutes). Then we loaded up in these old army trucks for a ride up the mountain. The information given for this excursion states not to bring a camera. Bring one. They won't let you take it while completing the zip lines, but I got some fun pictures on the boat and truck. We reached "Base Camp" where we were fitted with our gear and given instruction. Then we went up to hop on our mules who would take us to the top. The mules seemed well cared for. Their resting spots were covered and fresh water was always available to them there. The mule ride was about 25 minutes to the top. They had 6 guides with our group of 15. Some of the ziplines were really really long and fast. We also did two rappels. One was down a waterfall and the other is a free rappel. The guides have complete control over your descent. You do get completely wet during the adventure. Bring a change of dry clothes with you as you can change afterwards. They had a photographer taking pictures the whole time and you can buy all of your digital pictures at the end. For both of us it cost about $60, but you get all the copy rights to the pictures as well. We had a great time!! It was very fun and exciting. I was a little nervous a few times, but never ever felt like anything was unsafe. Unless you are scared of heights, I would highly recommend this tour.