Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Tucson54: An Expensive Disappointment

Mariner of the Seas 1
Tucson54
Member Since 2009

An Expensive Disappointment

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: South America
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My husband & I were passengers on Mariner from LA around Cape Horn to Santos, Brazil. RCI has changed drastically since we sailed a few years ago. They have cost cutting in place - no hair conditioner or lotion - no shower cap on the first leg. These items did show up on the second leg.

The food was below par - beef too tough to chew - fish either over or under cooked. Very difficult to get any fruit suitable for cold cereal. Windjammer was typical steam table fare - guests were calling it the "trough."

I have never heard of passengers moving from one cabin to another having to pack up & put their luggage out by 11PM. We moved from cabin 9342 to 8670. Usually (ALWAYS)the staff move you - Not this time!!!My luggage was lost & I couldn't get any staff to help me. My husband & I searched the decks & found 1 bag all the way forward on deck 7. I went to Guest Relations to ask for help. The young lady rolled her eyes, sucked her teeth & said "What More do you want me to do? It's not my fault." That was the attitude from Guest Relations for most of the cruise - very condescending & unpleanant. My luggage showed up at 9PM.

The Ice Show was outstanding!! Skaters very talented & enthusiastic! The rest of the entertainment left much to be desired. Like the last stop on the Vauddeville Circuit. The production shows were very low end - the singers seemed bored. There is much more that could be said - surfice it to say this was not our first RCI cruise - it is certainly our last. Less

Published 02/27/11

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: D29342

All the ports were interesting. The problem was that on the ship tours that we took the guides spoke very poor English - we're not sure what we saw