Marco Polo Cruise Review by Christina Kember

Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Tilbury
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: 12
See More About: Marco Polo Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Cruise & Maritime Voyages Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Marco Polo Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Marco Polo Deck Plans
Floating Nursing Home
We boarded the boat with some trepidation, given poor previous reviews. The boat is very clean, but given the average age of its clientele it needs to be - we were advised that most passengers were in their mid-seventies this cruise. The already poor health of many of them was exacerbated by the air conditioning, which was often toxic, I don't know if this was for the benefit of the franchised medical centre, I had a chest infection and was charged just shy of £2k for a few antibiotics, which didn't work - I think whatever the bug was it was resistant to the remedies available on board, I eventually got better after buying antibiotics from a pharmacy ashore. If you are going to travel my advice would be to take some with you.

One small good point was that the food was so bland and dreadful, that I managed to lose weight onboard - this is a first for me, and my husband who also lost a bit. The wine list was small and not good, although the house red was just about drinkable.

Entertainment was enjoyed by the majority of those onboard, although not to our taste - this is probably just a generational thing, the entertainers worked hard, but lacked direction. Shows were generally packed, but this was probably also a function of the numbers onboard, it did seem to be grossly overcrowded.

The itinerary was varied for a variety of dubious reasons, which we found hard to believe, this was coupled with very slow average speed, which caused the boat to roll a lot and causing discomfort to more than a few passengers - this was evidenced by sick bags being placed virtually everywhere.

In short it was the wrong cruise for us, the very elderly seemed to think it was spiffing, but the younger people we spoke to all stated that they would not use the boat again.

Publication Date: 02/27/11