Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by namorelli: Ultimate 10 Day Caribbean Cruise

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Ultimate 10 Day Caribbean Cruise

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean

This is my 9th. time cruising on Royal Caribbean and I'm a Diamond member. Obviously I'm very loyal to RC and will continue to prefer RC over other lines. Honestly in all the years cruising I never had a complaint until this last cruise. I suppose if I hadn't cruised eight previous times with them then I wouldn't be writing this review.

The most notable service problem we experienced was in the Windjammer dining room. One morning in particular there was no coffee. Three of the coffee stations were not operational and the one that was working was overwhelmed with passengers. That same morning the floor was slippery and passengers were slipping and sliding everywhere. The crew in an effort to help sprinkled salt on the floor. Another problem was the waiters weren't' cleaning off tables. One morning it had rained early but stopped. No one wiped down the tables outside until I said something. Compared to other RC ships the waiters weren't asking passengers if they wanted coffee, More tea juice etc. I spoke a few times with a restaurant manager about the problems. He replied that its difficult when 1000 passengers show up at once. That comment annoyed me and I shot back that they should be prepared for this. He took my cabin number and the next day I received a tray of chocolate covered strawberry's with an apology note. I did notice that half way through the cruise things seemed to improve; maybe it's just because they knew who I was and went out of their way to please me.

Dinner service in the main dining room had some problems as well. Our waiters had just two tables, ours with three couples and another larger table with about 10 -12 very senior passengers. They seem to be spending much more time at their than ours. One night a bottles of wine we ordered was not brought to the table until when the meal was over. Bread, water service etc was slow. When we mentioned this to our waiters they apologized and said that other table of seniors were very demanding and needed to keep them satisfied. Because of this, the service at our table suffered.

One other issue that we had. One night I awoke about 2 AM to use the bathroom. The water in the sink and toilet was a bright yellow. Kind of startling. The next day at the Crown & Anchor reception I mentioned this to the chief engineer. He politely explained that they often change the water filters during the night and what I experienced was some sort of discoloration from that. He assured me that the water was safe. I preferred not to drink it from that point on. The next day we received 6 roses to our cabin as an apology. I guess it pays to complain ha ha

Besides these issue the ship is beautiful. The food is good to excellent, spotless cabins.

The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers shows were disappointing and not as good as I've seen on other ships.

I've sailed on sister ships without a problem, so I'm going to assume these were isolated issues. If by my next cruise I see a pattern developing I think then we will have a problem. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 9636

Cabin #9636 located on the starboard aft of ship. Very quiet, great view of ocean

We only stayed therefor 5 hours. Its very hard to see in that amount of time but would like to spend some more time exploring the old city

Grand Cayman is always great. Beautiful beaches, warm water.