Seabourn Spirit 3

“IS SEABOURN SLIPPING?”
Cruise review of Seabourn Spirit

Janet Pardon

Overall Member Rating

This was our 11th cruise with Seabourn so I can pretty much claim to be a big fan. Never have we scored lower than 9 out of 10 for overall efficiency and 5-star experience. As a long time loyal customer of this cruise line, it is sad to have to record that our experience on the Spice Islands Discovery cruise in February 2010 only scored a disappointing 6 out of 10.

CUISINE

If you are a regular with Seabourn - and many are - don't you think they could refresh the menus now and then? Even with a different Chef, I recognised exactly the same menus in Restaurant 2 on theme nights as we had on Odyssey 6 months previously. Similarly the same old canapEs are offered in The Club cruise after cruise - where is the Chef's imagination?

The breakfast buffet in the Veranda Cafe seemed to have suffered in quality too. The melon was never ripe; there was a limited variety of all fruit (no grapefruit) and you had to ask for berries or mango. Indeed although we saw More mountains of mango in the market in Makassa, the ship ran out completely.

SERVICE

The staff in The Restaurant were stretched beyond the usual demand because the Sky Bar Grill did not operate because of wet weather. It was very evident that some of the waiting staff were not happy in their work. Their general demeanour and body language spoke volumes. I have never experienced such a negative vibe on a Seabourn ship before. The outstanding Maitre D who had managed the situation previously had vanished off the ship. I wonder if he had had enough and resigned.

Service on deck and in The Club was good but not outstanding.

There is no doubt that efficient, pleasant and keen staff are the key to the Seabourn experience. In my personal opinion, the rapid expansion of the Seabourn fleet has left all ships struggling to regain the standard us regulars have experienced in the past Less

Overall Ratings

A105

Published 02/23/11

Read Cruise Critic's Seabourn Spirit Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?