Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Halifax1959: A great week on the Norwegian Star

A great week on the Norwegian Star

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I took this cruise because of a community band group formed for this trip (adult band musicians bringing their experience and instruments for a week of playing with folks from across the country). I traveled with a friend and we had a great vacation. The winter weather on the Mexican Riviera was sensational -- sunny, dry, pleasant.

The cruise was standard in terms of activities and spaces on the ship. Norwegian hypes freestyle cruising; there were many dining choices. Some of them had a surcharge, and some of those with a surcharge had a surcharge on top of that! which I did not appreciate. The food was generally good.

Motion on this ship was far more noticeable than on other cruises I have taken. I was surprised at the design -- fitness gym in the very back, theater in the very front -- that emphasized the ship's movement in the most public spaces.

Norwegian worked especially hard to keep the ship, all parts of the ship, clean at all times. This was noted More and appreciated. Smoking was limited to a very few, very specific parts of the ship. For non-smokers, this too was appreciated.

I am sorry to report that the cruise staff were NOT helpful with the band group part of the trip. We had continuous difficulty getting rehearsal spaces and times appropriate to our group size, even though this had all (supposedly) been arranged ahead of time. There was no bulletin board set up for us to communicate, which was a serious need. We wanted to eat in a group, but were told we could only do so at 5 pm in the largest dining room so it would not be a hassle for the dining room staff. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eight 10150

We walked all along the marinas and stopped for snacks and drinks and a tiny bit of shopping. We did not take an excursion at this stop. We truly enjoyed Cabo though. It is a festive place. The colorful lights coming on at dusk, which we watched from the deck of our ship, were beautiful.

Mazatlan and the surrounding peninsulas form a fascinating area. We took an excursion bird watching by boat with the King David company. It was a marvelous day. I would come back to this area, hands down.

Read 290 Mazatlan Reviews