Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by ManusOD

Celebrity Solstice
Member Name: ManusOD
Cruise Date: January 2011
Cabin Category: 1C
See More About: Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Like 4 star hotel and restaurant all in one !
My adult son (25 yrs) and I (64 yrs) took our first cruise together. (we go to a "never been there" place each year. This year was a cruise.

I was blown away by the service, the food quality, the variety of activities and by the quality of the food. I have stayed in 4 star hotels and ate at 4 star restaurants that did not do as good a job as Solstice did on both.

People earlier commented that you should bring half the clothes you plan. I now agree with them as I brought back half my clothes clean. Also, you don't need to have a tux for the formal dinners. 75% wore suits or sport coats. Some didn't wear a tie at all and were still treated finely.

If you use cash, you don't get credit card upcharges for exchange rates when you get home. All ports like American dollars.

One small problem was getting the dining time we wanted. Turns out a large group of 500 people with special dining needs had to eat at the same time so our scheduled dining time was switched (which we did not find out until we got onto the ship). Turned out to be a blessing. At the later seating we were tabled with 3 couples who were 20 to 30 something. Made my son feel right at home ! Not many people in that age group, so we were pleased.

If you can't decide between two types of meals, e.g. steak or lobster, you can order both. They really, really want to please you. If you can't decide between 3 deserts, order all 3 like I did . . .(just kidding, I only ordered two).

The beverage plan is a good deal. Unless you are into expensive wines, you can go with the package that is up to $8. It covers most mixed, frozen, etc drinks and several nice wines are available in that package too. Over 7 days I only had about 5 or 6 drinks that were over the $8 limit, and that was because I tried some of the nitrogen frozen drinks and a couple of $12 wines. I would have been very happy with the $8 limit.

I wonder how other cruise lines will stack up against Celebrity Solstice. I think I have been spoiled !

Happy Cruising.