“Like 4 star hotel and restaurant all in one !”
Cruise review of Celebrity Solstice

ManusOD Celebrity Solstice 5 Like 4 star hotel and restaurant all in one !
ManusOD
Member Since 2011
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My adult son (25 yrs) and I (64 yrs) took our first cruise together. (we go to a "never been there" place each year. This year was a cruise.

I was blown away by the service, the food quality, the variety of activities and by the quality of the food. I have stayed in 4 star hotels and ate at 4 star restaurants that did not do as good a job as Solstice did on both.

People earlier commented that you should bring half the clothes you plan. I now agree with them as I brought back half my clothes clean. Also, you don't need to have a tux for the formal dinners. 75% wore suits or sport coats. Some didn't wear a tie at all and were still treated finely.

If you use cash, you don't get credit card upcharges for exchange rates when you get home. All ports like American dollars.

One small problem was getting the dining time we wanted. Turns out a large group of 500 people with special dining needs had to eat at the same time so our scheduled dining time was switched (which we did not find out until we got onto the ship). Turned out to be a blessing. At the later seating we were tabled with 3 couples who were 20 to 30 something. Made my son feel right at home ! Not many people in that age group, so we were pleased.

If you can't decide between two types of meals, e.g. steak or lobster, you can order both. They really, really want to please you. If you can't decide between 3 deserts, order all 3 like I did . . .(just kidding, I only ordered two).

The beverage plan is a good deal. Unless you are into expensive wines, you can go with the package that is up to $8. It covers most mixed, frozen, etc drinks and several nice wines are available in that package too. Over 7 days I only had about 5 or 6 drinks that were over the $8 limit, and that was because I tried some of the nitrogen frozen drinks and a couple of $12 wines. I would have been very happy with the $8 limit.

I wonder how other cruise lines will stack up against Celebrity Solstice. I think I have been spoiled !

Happy Cruising.

• Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Deluxe Veranda

1C8262
Small rooms, but hey, its a ship! Balcony was great as you didn't feel as restricted. Had a problem with the overhead elec. outlet in the bathroom. It messed with my water pic. Maybe it was an outlet for a different current. The water pic was fine when I got home. Was worried that when it stopped working after 4 days in the cabin, that it was broken. Not so, but find out about the outlets if you have issues. Beds were very comfortable. Used the fridge to store our stuff from the ship and was careful to replace their stuff each day.

Port
Go to San Juan Fort. It was where we spent most of our time. Very intersting.

Read 2,276 San Juan Reviews
Had a great tour of the town going from Phillipsburg to the French Side of St Martin. The guide was terrific. He served us multiple drinks gratis (rum drinks and soda and water). His nickname was Slim (I forgot his given name, but everyone knows him as slim). We got added onto his tour at the last minute, so reservation wasn't necessary (and there were 7 cruise ships in town at same time). Slim is very personable and really wants to give you a fantastic time . . . it shows. The tour sign up was at the building closest to the docks, right on the corner. (i forget the company's name). But its right behind the statue of the long time doctor/mayor of the city in the dock's plaza.

Take Slim's bus, (it was a 12-15 passenger), you won't regret it.

OH, also go to the airport where the planes fly in right next to the beach and then go to French Beach. Great sightseeing!

Read 3,325 St. Maarten Reviews
Port
Going to the far side of the island from the port, we went snorkeling. Had a great time, decent food and drinks on the beach and many umbrellas. Also has a changing room and snorkel rentals.

Read 3,413 St. Thomas Reviews
Published 02/22/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Celebrity Solstice Review
Celebrity Solstice Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?