Celebrity Century Cruise Review by Dream Cruzer: Celebrity Century - plenty of room for improvement

Dream Cruzer
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Western Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity Century - plenty of room for improvement

Sail Date: February 2011

Celebrity Century review:

- Crowd was mature (avg. 50+)

- Overall appearance and atmosphere of the ship was good...even though it was an old ship, it was renovated and felt cleaner and newer and nicer than Carnival Victory (not nearly as nice as Liberty of the Seas though)

- Shops and the main deck was very small; there wasn't anything special to shop for, no special deals

- We had no problems with our service, but there were a lot of complaints from other people

- stateroom attendant was excellent; had our rooms cleaned every time we came back, even if that meant coming back from a 45 min brunch

- fine dining server was nice, but very slow and inexperienced....I saw a lot of other servers chilling and joking and performing with their tables, but our server was hardly around

- The assistant server was great though...she remembered everything we wanted each night, with a great sense of humour

- Shows were decent. More It was a little different from Carnival and Royal such that they had more audience-interaction

- FOOD was on par, nothing out of the ordinary. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than royal or carnival

- however, I personally thought they lacked variety...the big dishes i could recall were prime rib, rib eye, some French steak, rack of lamb, sea bass, seafood risotto

- They also had this classic menu that was served every night...with lots of variety! (Jumbo cocktail shrimps, salads, soups, steak, salmon, chicken breast, escargots, etc.)

- I think they were very big on soups though...they had at least 3 diff types of soup every night!....which I found very salty but for my own taste, but I'm sure other people will find it tasty

- Facilities sucked - the only outdoor activities were: 2 pools (one was closed for 3/4 days), and 4 jacuzzis, and 1 basketball court.....this was all on the pool deck that i thought could use some more renovations

- Indoor: movie theatre, library, card room, casino....all ordinary activities

- Their entertainment crew lacked spirit! there were no deck parties, or at least usually they have a crazy sailaway opening welcome party...but they just had a welcome speech, introduced some people, and had some bartender mix 2 margaritas for 2 participants....and I thought the guy would at least do some crazy bottle mixing in the air...but nope...just a normal bartender!

- I must emphasize that I did not hear any Caribbean music whatsoever -- they were playing some techno music that could have been louder at times

- Celebrity special: Carnival had their midnight dessert buffet and Royal had their street food festival thing....this one had a brunch in the fine dining hall. So I thought it would be some sick fine dining with the servers serving you....but really it was just the same brunch food served upstairs in the buffet but displayed nicely with ice sculptures.

- the buffets were pretty much the same as any other ship; mix and match your own stir-fry, create-our-own omelette, roast beef, ham, soups, random baked fish, etc....they had a lot of fresh exotic fruits that were not soaked in sugar water that I found was lovely

- Disembarkation process was smooth and no waiting was required.

Personal Experience:

THE WEATHER SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got to Miami and it was probably about 20 degrees Celsius with partly sunny skies....and little did I know that that was just about as much sun as I was going to get for the rest of the trip!

The next day at Key West, I was so ready for some heat and sun...I wore my summer shorts and tank top and walked out the port....we had to turn back in right away! Not only was the sky spitting, but I'm guessing it was about 10 degrees Celsius with strong winds. Good thing I was prepared and brought pants and long sleeves and cardigans....

SO then I thought ok, we missed out on a day of sun and tomorrow further down South at Cozumel Mexico would definitely be better. But guess what....it was like a HURRICANE there! It wasn't as chilly, but it was raining and super windy that most of the excursions were cancelled. However, thankfully our excursion was not cancelled and the rain ironically made our excursion SO MUCH better!!! It was kind of like Dominica again...this was my favourite part of my trip. We booked something similar to a dune buggy called XRAIL to Jade Caverns and were literally covered in mud water from head to toe! It was a 3.5 hr excursion where you spend half the time driving in a jungle to Jade Caverns, where it was filled with water and sulphur that smelled like rotten eggs...and the cave had soo many bats (like the one in Ocho Rios, Jamaica we went to)....but this time we were swimming under them and we went further inside in the dark where the stalagmite were so low that it was probably about 2 inches above our heads...!

We had the whole day at Mexico and thought by the time after this excursion, we'd have time to look and shop around......buttttt....the rain and wind were so violent that the sea waves hit us sooo hard on the way walking back to the ship!....so I just went back to the stateroom and stood under the hot shower.

Sea days sucked...there was nothing to do...we spent most of our day at the hot tub. The last day had a little bit of sun again, but it was way too chilly to lie out there in your bikini! The hot tubs were obviously full since people wanted to tan and stay warm at the same time.

I think because the ship was small and the weather was so unstable, the ship was extremely rocky. We both got sea sick on formal night and couldn't even eat our fine dining dinner! :( (We were sitting at the back of the boat so that didn't make it any better).

Overall, the trip was good in a sense that we had good food and relaxed, but I still can't believe that we didn't even get to SEE a sparkling white-sanded beach, let alone feeling it! Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>