Carnival Pride Cruise Review by Lauren19: First Time Cruiser Review

First Time Cruiser Review

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

Overall the trip was fine. The food was amazing. I will say that I won't travel out of Baltimore again. It's 2.5 days until you get to another port and it's cold and windy the whole time. I knew it wasn't going to be sunny and warm in February, but I underestimated how much the weather impacted what you can do on the ship.

We didn't do many of the shows, but the variety show was fun. There's not much to do in the morning and the middle of the day when you're on the boat. Honestly I was lame and didn't stay up late enough to go to the comedy shows at night. We went to the Ivory Piano Bar one night, which was very entertaining. The tough part there was that there are zero smoke-free bars on the ship, which really bothered me.

We did spend a lot of time in the spa and gym. I'll start with the spa first. Absolutely every experience was wonderful. I got my hair done on the first elegant night, and a massage on the last day of the cruise. The gym was fine as well. More Running on the treadmill is a little challenging when the boat is rocking back and forth so much, but it's doable. There's an area for free weights but a good area to simply stretch. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Upper 5139

Have absolutely zero complaints about the cabin!

We signed up for the kayaking/snorkeling tour, but when we got off the boat that morning they said it was too windy to do that. They offered to have us go on the kayaking/nature walk tour instead. I'm not sure if it was really windy or if they just didn't have enough people sign up, but oh well. The kayaking was AWESOME. Seriously about the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Reminded me of that scene in the Little Mermaid. After 2 miles of kayaking we took a little nature walk in the national forest and saw an old cave and burial ground. Then we spent 45 minutes on the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Unfortunately the boat left at 2 that day so the whole time we were rushing to make it back to the boat in time.

The only reason I didn't give Freeport a 5 is because there wasn't nearly enough time there.

Read 771 Freeport Reviews

We had an hour between when we got off the boat and had to be ready for our excursion. We walked through town a little bit but did more window shopping than actual shopping. Our excursion that day was the dolphin shallow water excursion at the Atlantis. It's very structured (as it should be when you're dealing with animals that big) but a lot of fun. We had a little beach time before it got cold and we headed back. The one thing I'll say about the dolphin excursion is if possible get someone to take pictures for you. They don't allow anyone interacting with the dolphins to have cameras, and they charge $150 to get a USB drive of all the pictures they take.

Back in town we went to dinner at Conch Fritters. I had the roasted chicken which was HUG. Also be sure to try Kalik, the local beer. Very tasty. And of course no trip to Nassau is completed without a stop at Senor Frogs. Great way to finish the night!

Read 2609 Nassau Reviews

We did two excursions at Port Canaveral -- Cocoa Village and the airboat/wildlife demo. The package was sold out so we bought them separately, which means we had to do Cocoa Village in the morning. Most of the stores were still closed when we got there, so it was mostly walking around. We're a little spoiled with all the antique places at home in the Old Town Alexandria area, so having a few blocks of things we have at home wasn't all that special. We did go to the raw bar for lunch, which was good. However if you go don't get the Oysters Rockefeller -- way too much artichoke dip.

The airboats to see the alligators was really cool. Our guide knew the area so well and knew exactly where to take us to see the gators, and also knew the history of the land very well. After that we sampled some fried gator. Then two people from a wildlife rescue place were there to show us some snakes, a turtle and a gator. They were INCREDIBLY interesting and my favorite part of the day. We even got to hold the animals in exchange for a donation to their rescue fund.