Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by BestReviews: Oasis of the Seas Review
Overall Member Rating
Oasis of the Seas Review
Destination: Eastern Caribbean
Embarkation: Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
keep in mind that RCCL Oasis is my my second cruise, the first beeing RCCL Serenade of the Seas.
1. Cruise Director Richard Spacey is unmatched, I'm not sure why he is not a huge Celebrity making $20mill a film.
2. Ship is gorgeous, very well designed. The only problem is that you need to understand which bank of elevators to take up to the room. If you choose the wrong elevator you will end up walking completely around the ship. The elevators are color coated and I only know this from watching a video on the RCTV channel
3. Food still needs improvement. French fries from the winjammer cafe are not up to par in my opinion. I've had better from the supermarket frozen section. The onboard Johnny rockets has better burgers (I think because they melt the cheese for you) and the fries are a little better.
I'd also like some "authentic" caribbean food i.e. Jamaican or some Indian food. It seems that with much of their staff being Jamaican and Indian More there would be a lot of choices in this area but it just does not exist.
The steak from "Chops" restaurant is MUCH better than what you get in the dining room but it requires $25 extra per person
The Sorrento's pizza is Absolutley Horrible! I repeat Horrible! I'm from New York and I know what pizza should taste like. I'd rather a really bad pizza but Sorrentos is indescribable. The only people that like this pizza are people that never had pizza. Trust me, the frozen supermaket pizza is better, dominos, pizza hut, is way way way better. If I were them I would change this as this is their 24hr food choice
They have a sandwich bar that is also open 24hrs. The sandwiches are not perfect but they are good. Served on a crossoint so that helps with the taste.
Deserts are usually mediocre at best. The ice cream is fine but some of the cakes are blah.
I could go on and on about the food but what I think they need to do is pick about 7 to 10 cuisines i.e Italian, Jamaician, French, Indian, Cuban, Mexican, American etc and get a chef to master 4 popular "authentic" dishes from each cuisine. Turn this into a restaurant that is cheap i.e $4.95 per cuisine choice. THIS WOULD MAKE THEIR FOOD UNBEATABLE in my opinion. I would eat their every night. It would be even better if this were part of the free dining room options. Key word is "authentic"
One more thing to note is there are about 20 bars on board and I mean 20. So you will never have to go far for alcohol.
4. Onboard entertainment was very good. Ice Skating Show, HairSpray, Come fly with me, Aqua theater shows (similar to the Vegas "O" water show. While RCCL show is excellent note that the Vegas "O" show is 100x better), comedy show etc.
"love and marriage" which is like the "newlywed game"
Quest: Kinda adult in nature and funny
"Throw me a line" which is basically "Who's line is it anyway"
Belly flop contest
They also throw a 70's party in the Royal promenade with Dancing by The Cruise directory Richard Spacey and his staff. Pretty entertaining. I thought the Fairwell party in the Royal promenade what kinda lame especially after the 70's party.
Cruise director also has a few funny skits that they play on the RCTV if you are relaxing in the room.
5. I booked a suite but I'm not sure if I'll do that again. The advantages are supposed to be priority boarding and leaving the ship but this only counts during the first and last day. This would be useful when you are at various ports since the line is very long. Also you get access to the concierge lounge where they serve free drinks and snacks between 5 to 8 pm. You can also have lunch and breakfast there. You also get to see all the shows without making reservations but from what I saw most people can get in without reservations anyway so I don't thinkt he extra money is really worth it.
6. Casino is excellent, the only problem that I have is the Smoking. They divide the casino into Smoking/Non-smoking sections but this is not always successful so it becomes annoying when you end up on the wrong side or if smokers drift to your side of the casino. I say just elimnate the smoking altogether.
7. Fitness center and Spa was excellent. Very nice equipment and treatment. My only complaint is that they are always trying to sell you something after each treatment. I spontaneously purchased $600 worth of pill that I was told was going to detox my liver. After arguing about my wife about it I returned them and the trainer didn't seem happy. I have high blood pressure and my wife reminded me about how I ended up in the emeregency room after taking products without consulting with the doctor. The trainer kept trying to convince me that it would not interfere with my medication but how would they know considering they are not doctors. My medication contains diuretics and their products contains diuretics. I assume that too much diuretics can be dangerous. Other than that the expericen at the Gym and Spa were great. There is also a pretty long track on board. Less
Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>
Cabin review: GS Grand Suite with Balcony
Read All Grand Suite with Balcony (GS) Reviews >>
Port and Shore Excursions
(The downtown area has a TON of shopping)
We were trying to get to Maho beach to watch the Airplanes that fly closely over the beach just before landing. We walked to a side street and ended up in what we thought was a taxi but it turned out to be a local Bus. We were worried that the fare was 10x cheaper than a cab until the driver pickuped up some school kids coming home from school. Then we figured out we were on a bus. It took a little longer to get to the beach but it was 10x cheaper so I cannot complain.
Also because of the many cruiselines in port the traffic was bumper to bumper. We ended up taking a Taxi back to Port for fear we would miss the boat if we got stuck with a bus making too many stops (which is really a van by the way)
I think RCCL should spend at least 2 or 3 days in St. Maarten. That would make it a much better experience. We barely saw the Dutch side and didn't get to see the French side at all.
Not a particularly enjoyable c...
Ultimate Send Off to Summer 16
NCL...N-ickel and dime C-ruis...
Amazing mega ship, just not ou...
A happy and wonderful experien...
The Boat is the Destination
Oasis our favorite class but a...