Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by paulajj: Good but not great.

paulajj
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Southern Caribbean Cruises

Good but not great.

Sail Date: February 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean

We are a married couple, both 40.

We drove into Fort Lauderdale the night before and stayed at CAMBRIA SUITES. It was a great place to stay. Very large rooms. We got shuttled to the Port and boarded very quickly. We were put into chairs and got called up in sections. Took about 1/2 an hour.

We went directly to the Bistro on Five for lunch. Cost was $11.50 for 2 of us (including gratuities) We had a full lunch including salad and dessert. It wasn't busy at all and they had lots of staff. Most people go to the buffet right after boarding but this was the better choice. Much more laid back. No crowds. This was the only specialty restaurant we went to. The service was excellent.

The ship is very understated. Muted earth tones. Very relaxing and modern looking. The couches and chairs throughout the ship are extremely uncomfortable. They are all very deep and for women especially, you need to sit at the edge of them.

The Silhouette dinning room looked More nice. The round tables for four were very close together which made it difficult to get by them to your table. We are not large people so I can imagine if you're a little bigger it could be embarrassing.

The service in the dinning room was comparable to the rest of the ship. Just good. Not great. We have cruised on Carnival and expected Celebrity to be comparable or better and were completely surprised to find the service not as good as on Carnival. The waiters just had too many tables. They couldn't keep up. It wasn't terrible and had this been our first cruise we would have been quite happy I'm sure, but in comparison...

It was the same throughout the ship. Everyone was friendly and professional but the little things got them. For example I ordered a blender drink in Quasar and the man washed out the blender before he gave me the drink. Not a big deal since I wasn't in any kind of hurry but just a little weird.

Quasar is the dance club on board. The main problem I had with this bar was that there is no front walls on it. Right outside they have musical acts which means they can't have music playing except very late. We went in at midnight one night and there was no music!! A DJ came in shortly after and closed the bay doors to the hallway and cranked up the music but by this point there were maybe 10-20 people left.

The shops on the Boulevard were very nice with a variety of items for sale.

The staff pretty much left you alone unless you asked which was nice.

We played a little bit on the slots. Didn't leave with anything but they were paying out little bits. There was a good selection from penny machines and up.

Not smoky at all.

The theatre was a good size. It was the one area of the ship that had comfortable seats. The shows however weren't very good at all. The circus one was pretty good and a couple of the extra acts were good but the majority of the ship acts were not worth sitting through.

I must mention the hot glass show. My husband loved this and made it to as many shows as he could. It's a completely different entertainment. There were all age groups as well.

The lawn area was pretty much a big waste of space. We saw it used occasionally for some lawn games but the area was mostly empty. It would have been better to have a few more deck chairs set up.

The video arcade was kind of sad. They need some pinball machines. I don't see a lot of kids spending too much time in it.

The Oceanview Cafe (the buffet) was pretty good. There was a good range of food offered. We ate there for breakfast and lunch most days. It is good to keep in mind that if you're eating breakfast at a main time (9-10) you're best to order room service because it's packed!!! And really hard to find a chair.

Room service was great. Fast and hot.

Friends with us used the spa service and said it was very good and worth the money.

My husband used the gym most days and says it didn't really matter what time of day he went it was always busy. Here's a tip though. Don't wear black under armour shirts while working out. This is what the trainers wear and my husband was continuously being asked for help:)

Disembarkation was pretty bad. Our time was 9am and we didn't get out until 11am.

One thing to keep in mind when deciding on this ship. The general age is at least 60 to 70. At 40 we were definitely the young ones...by a lot! This is fine but the entertainment is definitely skewed to that age group. And I must say that they don't mind pushing you out of the way at the buffet or asking really dumb questions on every excursion.

There is a lot of nit picking in this review and most of it is very minor. I think we were expecting more from Celebrity then we got from Carnival. Given the choice between 2 exact same itinerary we would choose Carnival. But we would do Celebrity again. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Inside Stateroom Panorama Deck (9) 1530

We stayed in a suite on our last cruise and wanted to see if it's something we really need to do to have a great experience. It isn't. Our room was just as big as a balcony room. Has the exact same storage space etc. Was it as good as the suite? Of course not, but it was definitely comfortable and a lot cheaper. The only thing that I should mention is the cracking noises. The ship moved quite a bit and on most nights there was a weird groaning/crackling noise from the walls. I can't explain it but it's very loud. Maybe because it doesn't have outside walls?? Wish the couch was a little smaller to be able to get at the closet better. To reach the most storage you need to stand on the bed. If you are unable to do this you'll loose out on a lot of space.

Deluxe Cartagena and Fortress

Nothing much caught my fancy in Cartagena so we did this one. It turned out to be one of my favorites. You see everything there is to see and get to shop too if that's your thing.

Some in my party were turned off by the amount of people around trying to sell you things everywhere you turned. I found if you politely smiled and said no thank you they left you alone.

Had our picture taken holding a sloth from some guy at the mall. Was the best $2 I ever spent:)

A lot of walking and very hot.

Monkey Watch

There is an hour drive to this excursion and back. It is through extremely run down areas. Would recommend booking an excursion here.

We saw quite a few monkeys at 1 area. Some were coming right in the boat. Pretty cool. Very short time actually 'monkey watching' though.

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins.

This was pretty cool. It was about an hour drive in and out. They make it sound like you can go in the ruins but you can't. You can climb some though. The area was very picturesque. A lot of uneven walking. Some older folks couldn't make it through the whole thing. Pretty easy for those in moderate shape.

(5.5)
Xplore - All inclusive Adventure

Awesome!! The only bad thing to be said is that we didn't have enough time to do all the activities.

Picked up by a bus and driven to the park. You can pick what order you want to do the activities in. I would suggest starting with the ziplines because they got really busy in the afternoon. There are two different sets and you will get wet on both. Really wet so make sure not to wear running shoes. We wore our water shoes at all areas and found this to be best. You can do some of the lines in tandem which was really cool. There is a ton of walking and climbing for this. I wouldn't suggest it if you are not in reasonable good shape. I was huffing and puffing.

Next we did lunch. It was ok. Hamburgers, hot dogs and salads mostly.

And then we swam through the caves. We went with a man who couldn't swim and he made it through with little difficulty. They give you life jackets and most of it you can touch bottom. There are exits throughout if needed. It was a lot of fun but cold!!

Next we did canoe through caves. This was pretty cool. You don't have to go too fast so it's low activity level.

We didn't have time to do the little cars. We needed another hour to make it perfect.

Tip: Look out for all the photo opportunities. If you want to buy a disk it's a better deal if you have all the pics taken.

Read 3092 Cozumel Reviews

Catamaran Sail and Snorkel

They call it a 2 stop snorkel but the 1st stop is at a brand new boat that has been sunk. Nothing much to see yet.

The second stop is at a reef and it was really good. Saw a wide variety of fish. They have a cash bar so bring a few dollars.

You can get a bus straight back or you can hang out on the beach after and take a cab back.

Rainforest Lagoon Kayaking.

This was quite nice. It's a pretty leisurely pace so 1 1/2 hours is doable. I don't have a lot of upper body strength so I wouldn't want it too much longer. We saw sloth, iguanas and a bunch of different birds. The guides were good at pointing out things. You got a little container of fruit at the end.

Where you dock at Puerto Limon and drive through to get to the Kayaking is very poor and dirty. A little shocking. Not set up for tourists at all.

Would recommend booking an excursion here.