Coral Princess Cruise Review by GreySkies: Christmas Coral Canal Cruise 2010

Compare Prices on Coral Princess Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Christmas Coral Canal Cruise 2010

Sail Date: December 2010
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

I was excited about this trip, and it did not disappoint me. From the moment I got on the ship, I had a good feeling.

The crew was excellent. The steward didn't smile, but that didn't make him any less friendly. Everyone associated with the dining rooms were easy to deal with and were eager to please me. The passenger services desk didn't ever seem to have a line. The senior doctor and nurses were pleasant to see each time I went.

The food was almost always excellent. There were a few misses, but even those weren't horrible. Chef's Table was definitely worth the money.

There were plenty of activities throughout each day. My activity of choice was trivia. I ended up with a team that stayed together the entire cruise and were the ones to beat. Other activities I participated in were the Gingerbread House Contest, the Ultimate Ship Tour, the Cruise Long Scavenger Hunt, and the Scrapheap (Boat Building) Challenge. I would participate in all of these except More possibly the Scavenger Hunt again, and that's just because I tend to be lazy which means I would lose.

The ship was very clean. I dropped a napkin and the buffet attendant picked it up within 30 seconds. Room was cleaned well.

I requested a towel animal and received an elephant one night and a monkey the next.

Finally, I had taken a stuffed mouse on the cruise, and some of the staff really enjoyed seeing it on a regular basis. (It also serves as an excellent ice breaker.)

If I had the opportunity to go on this cruise again, I would be there in an instant!

For a much more detailed review, check out the following thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1329931 Less

Read more Coral Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Coral Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Coral Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck C402

Only issue was no location to store luggage efficiently. Very quiet location. Temperature was usually too hot for me while set at 76F. (Some of this was due to my travelmate, but not usually.) Elevators weren't too far away.

I was planning for months to do the Dolphin Swim. Was told by the doctor I couldn't go.

Ended up doing a walking tour that went to the fort that is now a museum across the street from the dock. Museums bore me most of the time, and this one was no different. (Excursion here was chosen by my travelmate.) Went to a small hotel, sat in the courtyard, and had drinks and a rest. Proceeded through the zocalo and to a church. Had little kids trying to sell things to you in the zocalo which did not make me happy. Then it was on to a "Princess Guaranteed" store. Bought myself a shirt, but the nice man following me around the store was trying hard to get me to buy things that I liked the look of, but didn't need. Then it was back to the ship.

Is it any wonder I wasn't a happy camper with this port?

Read 149 Acapulco Reviews

Spent half a day in Aruba and did the Sail and Snorkel excursion. The weather wasn't cooperating fully, so we were unable to see the Antilles shipwreck. We did go to two spots for snorkeling. The first one had very little fish. The second one had some nice fish and was much shallower than the first location. Coral was also very dull in coloring. The crew of the excursion were friendly. Took my own snorkel and mask. Glad I did since their snorkels didn't have the flap to prevent much water from coming in. Used their fins.

Read 684 Aruba Reviews

Did the "High Sierras Zip Line Adventure". Was very nervous since I hadn't seen anything about it. Had the time of my life! Would not hesitate to go again. Turns out this was run by Cabo Adventures. Pictures are expensive, but they do give you a bit of a price break if you buy a significant number or the CD.

Set up a private excursion for the roll call here. Saw just about everything in the city. Only thing we didn't see was the Palace of the Inquisition which I was later told wasn't worth it. Went to the church at the top of the hill (name escapes me) and got to go on a tour of it with our excursion guide. Going in and coming out had people trying to sell us goods. One man had a sloth and was asking for a dollar a picture with you holding it. I knew I would be doing that on the way out. Very sweet creature! Saw the fort and got a tour of that which was cool. (Ship's tours don't go through the tunnels.) Saw the center of town and the Gold Museum. Did plenty of other stuff that escapes my mind right now. Ended at an Emerald shop.

Did an excursion that someone set up for the roll call. Went to a place with medicinal plants and a sugar cane press that we were allowed to try and use. Then went on a crocodile boat ride and saw lots of young crocs, turtles, monkeys, etc. Had lunch at a place right on a beach. Chicken appeared to be better than the fish that day based on comments. Went to the Aerial Tram and had a nice relaxing ride. Got to see bats hanging under a huge plant leaf at the Tram location. Stopped to get some souvenirs, then stopped for coffee. Final stop before being back at the ship was at the pharmacy. This excursion turned out much better than I thought it would.