Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by FLAHAM

Norwegian Epic
Member Name: FLAHAM
Cruise Date: February 2011
Cabin Category: S6

Sue me. I liked the Epic.
My lady friend (60) and I (63) greatly enjoyed sailing in a Courtyard Villa on the Norwegian Jewel a year ago. We wondered if an aft-facing Penthouse on the Norwegian Epic would be as nice. We needn't have worried.

The crew was friendly and attentive. The cabin was not large (couldn't pass each other between the bed and wall at some points) but had plenty of storage. The balcony was large; it had a table with two chairs but could have easily held six. I enjoyed watching ships in the distance from the balcony at night. The lighting and phone systems are modern but took some study to figure out. Our butler and steward were wonderful. The circular bed is comfortable and spacious (I am 6'1").

The public rooms are numerous, well-designed and have a nice look to them. The ship could have used more outside areas with a sea view to feel more like--well, a ship. Use of the Courtyard and all its facilities was pleasant.

Food generally ranged from good to very good. Service in all restaurants was first rate. We ate in the Epic Club (breakfast, lunch and dinner), Courtyard Grill (lunch), and Le Bistro, Cagney's , teppanyaki and Shanghai.

We saw Blue Man Group, Second City and Legends in Concert, all of which I enjoyed and recommend. We also saw Cirque (see note below). We also enjoyed the various live musical performers at bars and particularly the ballroom dance music in the atrium before dinner.

A few notes that you might find useful:

1. The aft Penthouses are a loooong way from the Courtyard and the Epic Club. I thought the walk helped to work up an appetite but don't leave things you will need later back in the cabin. Those with mobility impediments might want to consider a Spa Suite or a Courtyard Penthouse instead.

2. The bathroom is fine (although the rocket motor noise of flushing will wake up anyone sleeping in the cabin). However, the first step into and out of the combination shower/bathtub is unusually high and wide. Those with mobility impairments might want to consider a shower-only cabin.

3. The lobster tails at Le Bistro and Cagney's ($10 surcharge above the cover charge) are baked from previously frozen. I found them ample in size but chewy despite the already-applied butter sauce. Happily, there are much better choices available--the steaks at Cagney's and the steak, lamb, duck and coq au vin at Le Bistro.

4. The dinner at Cirque is average at best and the plot is annoying hokum. Nevertheless, the circus arts performers are talented and watching them up close is fun. Tip: be sure to ask your butler to lead you in early to get terrific seats.

I hope you will enjoy your week on the Epic as much as we did ours.

Publication Date: 02/21/11
More Norwegian Epic Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Norwegian Epic review Read the next Norwegian Epic review

More Norwegian Epic Reviews
Epic was great. . go for it.
Not So Epic