“Great experience for our first time in Hawaii”
Cruise review of Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America

jgive Pride of America 4 Great experience for our first time in Hawaii
jgive
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We chose this cruise as a Christmas gift to ourselves. We had a rough year and wanted to go on a nice vacation. This was my third cruise and my husband's second cruise; this was the longest cruise either of us had taken and first on Norwegian. We booked through internet travel agency and the package included 2 nights in Honolulu before cruising.

Embarkation & Disembarkation: process was lengthy as I had read in other reviews. I wanted to go later, but our ground transportation was already scheduled due to the package we bought. Luckily it wasn't hot outside. In terms of disembarking, I'm glad we were able to choose the time we wanted to leave. We were in the last time so we could take our time with breakfast. If you don't have immediate tour or an afternoon flight, chose the last disembarkation time.

Cabin: We had a inner stateroom. We knew we just needed someplace to rest our head and that was exactly what we got. For a few hours one night, we were without water as were other cabins but it was back on the next morning. Our cabin stewart was attentive and always left our room clean. The one small issue we had was our beach towels were never replenished and we had to go up on deck to get them which meant putting down a deposit for them.

Dining: We went in this without high expectations, but had some nice surprises. We found what we liked and stuck with it. We took advantage of the first night's lowered cost at steak restaurant and liked it. We never had a problem with seating or having silverware in the Aloha Cafe. There was a great variety. We liked Cadillac Diner and usually ate at the Key West Grill for lunch. The food in the Skyline Restaurant was very bland.

We didn't take part in much entertainment. I did take a hula class and learned how to make a ribbon lei which was fun.

We used Roberts Tours for the sunset tour at Halekala (take a jacket because it gets cold up there!) on Maui to save some money. We were right behind the NCL tour bus so we saw the exact same thing that they did at a fraction of the cost. Other excursions we did were snorkeling in Maui (fabulous!), zip lining on Kauai, and tour the black sand beach and lava tree state park. We used our day in Kona as a free day (shopping for me!) to recuperate. My husband did not like the tendering to port.

We were there at the right time of year to see plenty of pods of whales plus some dolphins. Overall, it was a great trip and it enabled us to see a lot Hawaii for the first time. We would take this cruise again and have encouraged friends and family to do so as well.

Pride of America Cruises to Hawaii

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Pride of America Review
Pride of America Cruises to Hawaii
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?