Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by anthony lowton

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by anthony lowton
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: anthony lowton
Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: D1
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

THE ALCOHOL AND SICKNESS RIP-OFF.
We both thought the food was quite good. We tried to arrive in the restaurant promptly. What a shame that the food was served on cold plates. We pointed this out to our head waiter. Things got better the next day, but then cold plates were re-introduced.The meal on the final day of the cruise was spoiled by this poor attention to detail and passenger complaints not being taken seriously. The Waiting staff were very professional and very helpful.Our waiter had always consulted with the chef as to his recommendation.The training of your staff in the restaurant reflects the high standards expected by R.C.

Why, oh why, is the alcoholic beverage so EXPENSIVE? For example,one wine available on the wine list is sold in Sainsburys for £4.35.(We bought two bottles for our Christmas Lunch last year).Why is the mark-up price $54.00?While you claim that a tot of whisky is a 'double' measure, we would query that statement because, in our experience on Independence, the whisky was never measured as it was poured into the glass. and was seldom seen to measure up to our expectations. The cost of two double whiskies at $25 is incredibly excessive when you sell us Litre bottles for just about the same price at the end of the voyage.We found on our previous cruise experience that to have a bottle of whisky in our cabin was civilised.You infer that people in their seventies are not responsible drinkers by banning such availability.Either that or you want to make as much profit as possible on casual sales.Why call it a mini-bar when the only items available are water,($4.95 for ordinary still water),tins of carbonated drinks and incredibly expensive snacks.

I was unfortunate to have to visit the Medical Facility as I awoke to find I couldn't see because of swelling to my face one morning.(Sardinia). It was obviously an allergic reaction because I felt perfectly fit and normal otherwise. As I arrived my Wife completed the necessary documentation. The nurse then took my blood pressere/pulse which was unnecessary because I told her what they would be. I was 5mm out on the Systolic measurement. By then I was made to lay out on a paper covered trolley. Despite my protestations that I was feeling normal to the doctor and that I had no chest congestion etc, he made what I would consider to be a very cursory examination. The nurse then inserted a veinous catheter into my arm and I then received a Cortizone injection in order to relieve the swelling. This, with the medication supplied, was all that was needed. Why was the catheter needed? When it came to reviewing the Medical Report it all became very obvious - $100 for laying down on a trolley,$100 for the catheter procedure,$27 for the medication and the rest for 'professional' medical consultancy. A total of $341! This obvious rip-off, together with Royal Caribbean's very expensive and puerile alcohol policy put me in a very different mood as I reviewed our experiences of our cruise.

While the theatre is amazing, it was necessary for us to be seated one hour before the commencement of the shows because the seating is inadequate for the number of passengers aboard. The shows then lasted for one hour only. The entertainers can only be described as average and both female singers were much too 'screamy'and loud for our taste. The hypnotist was patronising to the extreme to his on-stage victims and we left the theatre after only 20 minutes. Joff Eaton was an excellent show host and we enjoyed his humour and professionalism. We took advantage of most facilities which suit us and we were very happy with the various hosts and entertainments. We will not be cruising with R.C again, feeling that other cruise companies have more mature policies. Yes, make a profit on alcohol sales, but don't rip the customer off. Provide a benevolent medical facility, but don't make it a means of ripping off the insurance companies and pushing up the premiums for the unfortunate victims of illness.

Publication Date: 02/17/11