Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by nageron

Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: nageron
Cruise Date: February 2011
Cabin Category: D1
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated
        3-6 4.0
        7-9 5.0

Great Vacation ! First Time won't be the last time.
As First time cruisers, we were very happy with our vacation on the Liberty. My wife and I have been to many resorts and vacation spots across Mexico and the Caribbean, a few with our young children in tow and didn't know what to expect from the cruise.

Got to Miami on Friday noon and stayed at the Four Points on Collins ave. I had used points for the hotel and had a free day rental from National so we took the car from the airport to the hotel for the overnight. National has an office directly across from the hotel so we dropped the car there the next day. They do offer a shuttle to the Port but it doesn't run regularly (depends on what ships are in/out and what customers they have to transport). We planned on taking the free shuttle but the timing wasn't good so we cabbed it from the hotel ($28).

We got to the terminal about 1:10, gave the bags to the porter and went inside right away. Boat was set to sail at 4:00 ( or maybe 4:30?) We had to wait a bit to go through security, then another 20 minutes to get your sail pass etc, but we were on the ship within an hour.

I have to give full credit to Royal Caribbean and the crew of the Liberty of the Seas because we had a fantastic time. My son is 7 and daughter 4 and our biggest concern was keeping them busy so that my wife and I could feel like we were on vacation too. There was so much to do on the ship and we barely scratched the surface.

My kids are not what you would call low maintenance but my son took to the adventure ocean activities right away. My daughter needed a little more coaxing, but she ended up going on the 3 "sailing days." We left my son at Adventure Ocean on the 3 sailing days and on the Puerto Rico stop as we figured he would prefer that to walking around San Juan.

Service on the ship was excellent from start to finish. Always a smile and eager to help with anything. Our Stateroom attendant was efficient and fast and all the staff in general were super polite and quick to engage the children ( they all referred to my daughter as princess - a common practice it seems - but she liked it).

It took us a little bit of time to figure out the My Time Dining, as we didn't really know when we wanted to eat. Once we settled into a routine, it was easier. I have to say Lonel and the other host (can't remember her name - she was from Mexico city) were super helpful.

As I mentioned, we barely did anything as my kids go to bed fairly early ( and wake early!). I think all the sea air and running around knocked them out. We didn't go to any shows, but we played mini golf, video games and air hockey in the arcade and just ran around in the H2O zone in general.

We went to the Dreamworks breakfast once (they do them on all the "at sea" days). You have to reserve and the space is limited so do it as soon as you can. They basically have 2 or 3 characters come out and take pictures with everyone.

Don't miss the Dreamworks parade. 5:30 and 11:15 pm. It was pretty neat! (can't remember the day)

The staff in the dining room were always happy to see you and the kids always got something to colour and some pens or crayons to keep them occupied.

Overall, the onboard experience was really good. A bit crowded on sea days around the adult pools (it was really windy the first 2 days at sea and the adult pools seemed to have less wind - but seats were always taken).

*** disembarkation note for Canadians***

I don't know if this is just what happened to us, but here is how the process went. On advice from many postings and even my travel agent, we were advised not to book a flight home from MIA before 2pm.

On the morning of departure you are given a Tag number and a time frame (30 min) during which you will be called to leave the ship. Our ship docked at 6am. Our tag was 8:00- 8:30. We were called at 8:06 am. We got up and slowly started to disembark. We took our time as our flight was not until 3:35 pm. There were 11:45, 12:45 flights to Toronto but we were advised not to book so early just in case.

Being leisurely and taking our time, we got through US customs (about 20 seconds once we had our bags) and found ourselves getting into a cab at 8:45am. Most of the time was spent waiting for our bags and doing a little repacking before the airport. No word of a lie, we were standing at the Air Canada check in at 9:01am. We couldn't rebook on an earlier flight as I had used points to fly and it would have cost an arm and a leg.

My advice, and again, this is just our experience of returning on a Sunday morning... book yourself an earlier flight - we had to sit in the airport for 6 and a half hours. We couldn't even check our bags until close to noon. So if you don't want to drag your kids and all your luggage around the airport, check on your ships arrival back in port and plan accordingly. If you are a U.S. citizen, I think the customs clearing part is much longer - there was a very long line. I think non- U.S. citizens basically get a free pass (unless you have goods that are remaining in the U.S.)

I hope this info is useful for anyone planning their first cruise or needing more specifics on the ship and/or this particular itinerary.

Publication Date: 02/17/11