Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by CruizinPMP: Liberty o/t Seas? Why Not?

CruizinPMP
Member Since 2008
1,666 Posts

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Liberty o/t Seas? Why Not?

Sail Date: February 2011

Pre-cruise: Flew into Ft. Lauderdale the day before and stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites. Very nice hotel!!!! I took SAS Transportation to the Port of Miami and they were excellent. I was a little nervous because one of the vans drove past but that was for Port Everglades.

Embarkation: I arrived at the port around noon. There was a LONG line formed going into the terminal. From my understanding, customs does a special inspection when the prior cruise goes to Belize. I was able to get onto the ship around 1:15 - 1:30.

Ship: This is my first time on a Freedom class ship so I cannot compare but I believe the biggest changes that were made during drydock were the outdoor screen on the pool deck, touch-screen monitors installed on each deck by the stairwells and the Dreamworks experience. I think these changes were great! The outdoor screen is not as big as some on other ships but large enough to enjoy the Super Bowl outside in a t-shirt and swimsuit! :) I really More like the touch-screens because they have the daily activities as well as directions to all the venues at your fingertips. There was a concern about the DreamWorks experience from some Royal Caribbean guests. I think they did a wonderful job with this. The characters were present during the initial sail away as well as certain events. The characters were available at certain times for photo ops and one of the parades starred the characters but other than that, you did not see them at all. The ship is simply beautiful!!!

Entertainment: The ice skating show was great! The show is called "Encore!" and takes you to various entertainment places in the world. The show "In The Air" was very cool. It reminds you of a Cirque du Soleil show. The show "After All" takes snippets from fairy tails and combines them into one show. The one comedian was very funny but there was another comedian and a magician that were so-so.

Dining: I tried out "My Time Dining" for the first time. I was not too crazy about it. I am not sure what it was but the wait staff seemed like they needed to work really hard. I was able to get the same table each time and the same wait staff each time though.

Tidbits: This was the last cruise in the cruise director's current contract (I seem to be a magnet to these). He did a few things that I really enjoyed. First, he made a slide presentation of places that you are not allowed or no longer allowed to go into (bridge, galley, crew quarters, etc). I thought this was REALLY cool! Second, he had his own twist on the Quest which was cool. There was also a group of 12 motorcycle riders that brought their bikes on the cruise and was able to ride them through all the ports (except Labadee). That was extremely cool and would be neat!

I added information about the ports in a separate section but could not find Labadee. It is RCI's private stop and was nice. There was a lot to do but it was really hot that day. A lot of people were drained from the heat but it was still nice. I became one with a nice hammock in the shade and it was so nice!

Disembarkation: Really easy. I was off the ship by 8:15am and on my way back to FLL via SAS Transportation. Again, no problems! Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 9621

This was a short stay (7:30a - 2:30p). I went on the El Yunque Rainforest tour. El Yunque is part of the National Park System and was really nice. It is a hour drive from the pier but was really nice. The bad part of the excursion was it ate up most of the stay and I had to hurry to get some shopping in.

Read 1376 San Juan Reviews

VERY COOL!!!!!!!! We has a large group (30+ people) who took a private island tour with Bernards Tours (not sure if I can say the vendor though). They were great! There were complementary drinks available and they make a MEAN rum punch! Oh my gosh! Awesome! We stopped for a photo op on the French side of the island before proceeding to Orient Beach. We went to Orient Beach and I stayed on the non "clothing optional" side. Please note though the whole beach is "top optional". The beach itself was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Turquoise water. After that, we stopped in Marigot and the driver asked if we were interested in stopping and the consensus was to go to Maho Beach so we left. Maho Beach is the coolest place if you enjoy planes. The planes are SO low when they cross the beach. The place is simply AWESOME!!!

I was supposed to do a snorkeling excursion but opted-out at the last minute (my fault, not the cruise lines). I walked downtown with some friends and did a little shopping while I was there. It is approximately one mile but felt safe doing so. I walked back to the ship afterwards.

Read 2340 St. Thomas Reviews