Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by dutchlove20

Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Jewel
Member Name: dutchlove20
Cruise Date: February 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Cabin Category: IB
See More About: Norwegian Jewel Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

It's what you make of it!
I did this cruise with my 22 year old daughter. (it was her B day gift) She had never been on a cruise and it seemed like a fun intro and a good thing to do together. We live 1 hr away from NYC so getting there by train was easy. I read on previous reviews that some people had long lines at embarkation so we were prepared for that. Yes they were long when we arrived at 12;40 but they moved very fast. The whole process took us about 40 minutes. Then we went straight to the spa to book a treatment. Even that early on they didn't have a lot of spaces left so if you want to do this ....book that first and then go to lunch. We went to the main dining room for lunch and even though they close at 2:00 when we arrived at 1:45 they seated us and we had a very nice relaxed lunch. After that the cabin was ready. Beds were comfy and sheets looked new. No pilling at all as I read in an earlier review. We got familiar with the ship and had a drink and watched NYC's sky line and Statue of Liberty go by before heading to the spa.

We had dinner at Azura which was as good as most cruise food is. Nothing special nothing bad. I never go to specialty restaurants. All staff was super nice.. Then we went to the "adult Quest" game. We sat next to some very nice people and although I never do those games this time I did and we had lots of silly fun. After that we stayed to watch the comedian who was ok. Then me and my daughter danced until we were tired! We had a great night together.

This cruise to nowhere is really what you make of it. Pools and hot tubs were heated and there was a good amount of people using them even though it was 30 degrees out. There were no kids and mostly the crowd was under the age of 55 and lots of couples for Valentines and people celebrating b days etc. I would never do it if I would live far away from NYC. (not worth the hassle) but it was certainly fun for us. Also I would NEVER book anything else but an inside cabin for this. I mean why would you? It's too cold to be outside. The seas were calm and in the morning I didn;t feel that we were rushed of the ship. The first announcement was at 8:15....We skipped breakfast and took our time and left the ship at 10:00.

Publication Date: 02/16/11