Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by MsB1254: One of my favorite cruises!

MsB1254
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Western Caribbean Cruises

One of my favorite cruises!

Sail Date: January 2011

We were a group of three couples meeting for the cruise. Four of us left from Dulles Internation Airport in Washington, DC. The other couple took the train from Greensboro, NC to Ft. Lauderdale. We all arrived the evening before sailing and stayed at the Cambria Suites. We signed up for the hotel shuttle to the cruise port and this worked out very well. We arrived at the port around 11:00 a.m., dropped our luggage and walked right through to check in. We were seated about 20 minutes and we were on the ship by about 11:30 a.m.

The first order of business for us was to visit the dining room to see about changing one couple from Blu to the main dining so we could all sit together. We were the 2nd people in line to request a change. Four of us were in conceige class and two were in aqua class in order to get a handicap accessible room to accommodate his scooter rental. We were all asigned to a new table in early seating. However, when we arrived that night two people were already More at the table for six. After about 15 to 20 minutes they were relocated to a different table and all was well.

After that it was on to the buffet lunch and and the rooms were all ready as promised at 1:00 p.m. Everyone had received their luggage before the muster drill which was fairly painless and we were not required to take the life jackets.

The first day was the first formal night and we did see the circus style show The Equinox which we all enjoyed. I thought the food in the main dining room was as good or even better than any cruise ship I have previously been on. The dining room staff worked really hard to try to please everyone. We also tried both Tuscan Grill and Murano and thought that they were both excellent in food and service. That being said our entire party of six agreed that our personal favorite was Tuscan Grill.

Just a few last thoughts. This was a great cruise and a beautiful ship and crew. I don't know how anyone could fail to enjoy it. Two of our group are smokers and found that the designated smoking areas were adequate so this was not a problem for them. This particular cruise was primarily a middle aged to older crowd with very few children on board. In our group of six the ages ranged from 48 to 65 and I think we all felt right at home. I wondered if the 11 days would be a little long but I think most of us enjoyed having the extra time to unwind and relax. I think next year I will probably stick with the Caribbean but try a 14 day itinery. Non of us thought Aqua class would be worth it for us since we all enjoyed the main dining room. I would recommend this ship and itinerary to anyone thinking about it. Go and have a great time. It was my first but will not be my last cruise on a Celebrity ship. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Concierge Class Panorama Deck (9) 1005

Cabin - 1005. This cabin was pretty far forward but we had smooth sailing and did not feel the motion of the ship very much at all. We enjoyed this cabin location. Our friends were in 1075 and this was a hump balcony with the extended balcony and also a quiet location. They enjoyed the larger balcony. The other couple was in 1538 which was handicap accessible and had plenty of space in the room and bathroom. He had plenty of space for his scooter.

Cartegena, Columbia - We had arranged a private tour on the internet with Claudia Tours and our guide was Nick V. Our guide had a set tour and presentation about each place and it was hard to get a personal take on his country which is something that I enjoy more than the standard line. It was a very interesting city and the tour covered a lot of interesting places and he did a good job overall. The van also had a driver and they accommodated the scooter that one of our group utilized for the tour. There was a lot of walking in the old city but the streets are closed to vehicles so getting around in the scooter was not a problem in that area. We did not go to the top of the fort and just made a short stop in that area. We also made a stop for shopping in an area called the Dungeons. The old city stop was my personal favorite. There were a lot of aggressive vendors in the fort area.

Colon, Panama - Another ship excursion - The grand tour of Panama. This included a short boat ride on Gatun Lake, a stop at the Gatun Locks, and a visit to the Embera Indian Village. The locks were worth the visit and we were lucky to see two ships going through the locks. One of the ships was an Oceana ship that we had also seen on Gatun lake during our boat ride. The Embera Indian village was interesting but we all questioned the claim that they lived there full time.

Cozumel, Mexico - We took the Secret River excursion offered by the cruise ship. For this trip we had to ferry over to Playa Del Carmen and then take a van to the cavern site. This was a good excursion but I was somewhat disappointed by the amount of water in the caverns. We were required to wear wet suits and a life jacket and water shoes. The water was not very deep below our knees or dry most of the time and only once or twice up to our waists. The wet suits really smelled heavily of mildew and mold. The caverns were left very natural and were worth seeing. We also had almost two hours before the ferry back to walk around Playa Del Carmen. Two of our group look the ship excursion to go down in the Atlantis submarine. The other two took a private tour they had arranged pre cruise on the internet to do a bar hopping tour of the island. They had a great time but did not make dinner that night - too much tequila.

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

Grand Caymen - Just took a local tour bus for a quick island tour. Just be warned - the tour operator will keep you waiting on the bus until they can get it completely full included the seats that fold down in the aisle. Would probably just go to the beach the next time we are in port. There were five ships tendering in that day so everything was crowded. Two of our party just stayed on the ship and had a spa day and I'm not sure they weren't the smartest. Oh well, it was still a beautiful day on a tropical island.

Costa Rica - We all booked the ship excursion bus, boat & train tour. It was adequate but all agreed not the best. The boat ride on the canal was not very much - just a very short distance looking for monkeys, birds, and sloths.

(5.5)
Roatan, Honduras - This was favorite day of the whole trip. We had arranged a private tour on line with Cinthia tours. We were luck to get one of her guides Elvin Salinas. He was very personable and made the tour very pleasant. The last stop we were making here was the beach and we told him to pick up his four year old daughter at his mother-in-laws so she could go to the beach with us. The beach area was lovely and the water clear and beautiful. I would loved to have spent more time on this island. It was my first stop here but hopefully will not be my last.

Read 1642 Roatan Reviews