Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Azura Cruise Review by GRAHAM HARRIS: Luvverly Azura

Luvverly Azura

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Barbados

OK - I was a travel agent for 20 years, so maybe myview is slanted from an ex-pros point of view, but I retired 5 years ago and now consider myself a normal traveller (some would say 'rather than an abnormal one !)

The advantage I have is that 1. I am reasonably well travelled 2. I have inspected and travelled on a fair few cruise ships in my time.

Chose Azura because of the date (suited us) the price ( more than suited us) and the balcony ( might not worry if I was cruising the Baltic in the deep mid-winter, but in the Caribbean it's a must.

Forget the picky moaners - Azura is a gem !

Flights (Manchester) left on time, comfy seats, free drinks (courtesy of P&O) and arrived 45 minutes early !!

Arrival - straight off the aircraft onto buses (no customs/immigration) Bliss.

40 minutes to ship.

Check in - longish queus, went down quickly - onto the ship in 20 minutes.

Cabin - lovely - balcony cabin B deck. More Everything you need + of course that (very) important balcony.

Food - First sitting Peninsular restaurant. Gorgeous seeting great service, marvellous grub. Whoever said they were small portions must have been on a different ship!. Sindhu - stunning / 17 - the best meal I've had in my life !

Tried the buffet for lunch one day and it was fine but scampered back to the Peninsular for breakfast,lunch and dinner after that.

Entertainment - Everyone tells you that the 'Headliners' show is great and they are right - don't miss a single show.

Tips - Miss a day on shore and pay £12 for a day in the retreat (shore days) It's millionaire land.

If you want to sunbathe on deck go to the back (terrace pool) it's quieter.

Buy a bottle (or two) of your tipple at the duty free on your first visit ashore, plus a feww mixers ( P&O allow it on board now) and enjoy it in your cabin (or balcony) - bliss.

If you are worried about reports of the ship by the moaners - forget it - you'll have a great cruise - we did ! Less

Published 02/15/11