Norwegian Star Cruise Review by jud123: Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera

Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera

Sail Date: December 2004
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We flew Jet Blue direct from Dulles, VA, to Long Beach. Arrived at 9:30 a.m. Taxis were readily available. Taxi to pier was $33.00 plus tip. It took approximately 20-30 minutes. We arrived at the pier at 10:00ish. Purchased sodas from a small stand outside at pier to take on the ship. Check in opened at 10:30 and we waited approximately 20 minutes in Latitudes line. This was my second time on Norwegian, 7th cruise in all. After check in, we were given a number to go thru security. Security check in started at 11:30. We were on ship by 11:45.

The room was not ready, but we were able to put our carry ons in the room and met the stateroom attendant. The interior room was very small, but adequate for two adults (not enough drawer space). It had a nice size bathroom. I liked that there was a shower door and not a curtain. We went for the buffet but were not happy with the buffet food. There was a limited variety throughout cruise. We More ate at Aqua and Endless Summer, but were not able to get reservations for La Trattoria (sp?). The soup was always lukewarm. The food does not compare to Celebrity, Princess or Disney which, in my opinion, have a better quality and variety. I liked Blue Lagoon for hot dogs and fish and chips only. Did not like the taste of the hamburgers.

The room was always kept clean. The inside of ship was always very cold.

We enjoyed all of the ports. We took the city tour, cliff divers and shopping in Acapulco -- excellent. Beware, this tour requires a lot of walking. We took a self tour of Zihuatenejo and loved it, very beautiful. We took a city tour in Puerto Vallarta -- excellent. Self tour in Cabo. Enjoyed all the ports!!!

There was no interactive TV -- you can't order room service thru the TV. The were no Pay Per View movies either. The TV had ESPN, CNN, TNT and several other channels, including two movie channels- I Robot, Cinderella Story, The Girl With the Pearl Earring were all shown.

The ship has nice gym facilities, but classes fill up quickly.

Disembarkation was slow. We asked for RED luggage tags with disembarkation at 8:00. We finally made it thru immigration and located our luggage around 9:00. We had to put our name on a list for TAXI!!!! I have never had to do this before. We had to wait about 30 minutes for a taxi. There were only 3 taxis at a time at the pier...real strange...We were back at Long beach airport by 10:00 able to fly standby on an early fight at 11:15.

Overall I will give the cruise a C+. I prefer Celebrity, Princess and Disney, but we got a real good deal on this cruise and will probably cruise with Norwegian again!! Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>