Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by edgeman61: Couldn't get into the Spirit

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

Couldn't get into the Spirit

Sail Date: January 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

This was our first cruise with NCL, we flew into NOLA on the day of embarkation, got to the ship around 3:00, by that time we flew through embarkation and our room was already available. We missed out on some of the boarding excitement by getting in so late, we settled in, did the lifeboat drill (no life boats at our assembly area?) and then about 5:00 found something to eat as we missed the embarkation lunch.

We had a balcony stateroom that was small but adequate, bed was supposed to be a queen size but it was just two smaller beds pushed together, it was very firm and the pillows were very stiff as well (not extremely comfortable). I am fairly tall and my feet were hanging off the end of the bed so I know it was not a traditional queen bed. The climate control worked well we had no difficulty keeping the room at our desired temperature. Bathroom was small as well, I'm 6'3" and could not lift my arms or bend over in the bathroom. I liked the shower vs. a bathtub and the More commode area had enough legroom.

Not sure that we are a fan of FreeStyle cruising. There didn't seem to be allot of activities that didn't involve, drinking, gambling or being sold something. In the evening there was usually some entertainment that was pretty good. The Comedian on board (Sam Griesbaum) was very funny and the cruise staff came up with some very entertaining "game shows" involving audience participation. Our biggest peeve was the food, primarily lunch and dinners. The items we had on the fixed lunch menu were not very appealing. Dinners proved to be the most problematic, again the MDR limited options and always available items would have been alright had the food been appealing. I did enjoy the prime-rib (probably the best meal I had on board and IMHO better than the filet I had at Cagney's) and the chicken picatta was decent. My wife enjoyed the vegetable quiche and the filet at Cagney's, so out of 7 dinners we enjoyed 2-3 of them. We ate at the Blue Lagoon a couple of times, the fish & chips are good (better than the MDR lunch version) but everything else we had was so-so. I thought that Raffles food court was going to be an issue for us but with the exception of a lack of vegetable side dishes I found it to be OK. The ice cream on board was pretty good though the available flavors are limited. Again an issue with FreeStyle cruising, you think that you can eat whenever you want, wherever you want but you still have to find a time and place that will accommodate the events that you want to view or participate in for the evening. With fixed dining the schedule is arranged so you shouldn't miss any events.

I had some good times on the ship but overall the hassle of finding something that you would want to eat at a convienient time and place diminished the enjoyment of the experience. There would have to be a unique itinerary offered for us to consider sailing NCL again. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eleven 10630

Adequate space for two adults. Halfway between mid and aft elevators. Balcony looked out over Mississippi in NOLA, looked out at pier on all other ports.

The tendering process was not as bad as I had expected, about a 15-20 minute (high speed) boat ride to the pier. We went on a trip to see the Lamanai Mayan ruins. It was an all-day affair, a long bus ride followed by a long boat ride up the New river (which was a blast, loud and fast). The ruins were remarkable, I climbed to the top of one of the pyramids. The lunch on the return was OK (chicken, beans & rice, bread).

Had planned to go on a sail and snorkle excursion but it was canceled due to high seas. We walked through the pier area alot of the same overpriced touristy stuff. Took a bus to Majahual, wow, a bar on one side of the street a beach and massage tables on the other repeated a dozed times. Will probably stay onboard if I am ever there again.

I can't honestly give Cozumel a rating as we were supposed to go to the Tulum Mayan ruins but I got sick the night before and was given a medical discharge from the excursion. It looked like if you enjoyed drinking and /or shopping it was the place for you.

Read 3117 Cozumel Reviews

We docked at Mahogony Bay which was very nice (very developed). Our excursion went to Maya Key, a small island off the end of the airport runway. We snorkled, sat on the beach and looked at the animal rescues. I felt that the sea was a little too rough to be out past the reef for snorkleing but one of the guides took my wife out and she had a wonderful time and saw some incredible sea life.

Read 1649 Roatan Reviews