“Taking a Queen to Amsterdam”
Cruise review of Cunard Queen Victoria

Chet63 Queen Victoria 5 Taking a Queen to Amsterdam
Chet63
Member Since 2007
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Having been on Queen Victoria once before, we knew from the outset that this would be a good cruise, and it lived upto and exceeded our expectations. We loved the service and staff approach , and nothing was ever too much trouble for them. Having been on Grand Princess earlier in the year, and found we compared Princess with our Cunard expecations and were a little disappointed, we wanted an injection of cunard class and culture and certainly got it.

Shows, restaurant, and casino were good, excursions were excellent and value for money, cabin brilliant - clean and always immaculate on our return to it, althogh it didn't always remain that way as we enjoyed some afternoon naps and the bed didn't always remain expertly folded and tucked !!

Disco very empty at 10 pm and so ideal for a quick drink before the Casino !! But it quickly filled up 10.30 to 11 pm and the music or band increased their volume and I went elsewhere.

Shops were good, sales were not quite as trashy as in the past, and almost purchased a picture from the Gallery but manged to resist !!

Queen Victoria Cruises to the British Isles & Western Europe
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Balcony

Port
Had an overnight stop so booked an excursion to a cheese factory in Vollendam (I think) which was a really good trip out and not as expensive as some excursions in the past with Cunard. Didn't get off at night to see the red light district (wife was not really interested !!) although loads of the blokes on board seemed to have gone somewhere, so may have missed one of the best known sights but at least I have something to see if I return.

As we were berthed in Amsterdam (near an opera or classical music centre) it was a 10 - 15 minute walk to the main square and train station where the canal cruises are centred. We chose to purchase a cruise at the tourist desk in the terminal and it really was cheaper than Cunard or the actual canal cruise company.

Never been to Amsterdam and this wet my appetite to return !!!

Didn't get off this time but last time I was at Zeebrugge I went on a battle grounds / cemetery tour with my son and it was very interesting but very rushed. My wife went on courtesy bus and other than chocolate and coffee houses it wasn't very appealing to her and our daughter. Not the best port but not the worst either

Port
Went on a wine tasting tour and it was fantastic, with a snack etc and opportunity to buy some wine and cider to take home. Had a grumpy man on the excursion who always wanted to be in front of me, and seemed to be under my heels all the time but he couldn't spoil my day out. Price for excursion was excellent value. Some people went on the long excursion to Paris and came back shattered so not a good option for those who tire easy.

Read 180 Le Havre Reviews
Published 02/14/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Queen Victoria Review
Queen Victoria Cruises to the British Isles & Western Europe
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?