Zuiderdam Cruise Review by cnote100

Zuiderdam
Member Name: cnote100
Cruise Date: December 2010
Cabin Category: C
See More About: Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Zuiderdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zuiderdam Deck Plans
Late, but why not - A Good First Time Cruisin
My wife and I were brought along by her family on this cruise for her Grandma's 90th. I think there were about 40 of us in the group. Oversall it was good, no real issues.

We left from FL which went smoothly, except that this beign a holiday cruise - the port and roads to the port were busy. But everything went smoothly. We enjoyed our room, it was big enough, and while we would've preferred a balcony, since G-Ma was paying, we were happy with what we got.

Service: overall very good. Nothing specificially stands out as great, but since I don;t remeber any issues either, I'd say that's good. Everyone was always nice and cordial, although the conversational ability of many crew memebers was lacking.

Room: as I said, it was fine. Big enough for two, but maybe a bit difficult when trying to change for dinner - I sometimes would just leave a go grab a drink or something. It was always cleaned well.

Food.drink: Good. The food was pretty good, enjoyed breakfast, but again, nothing stood out as excellent either. I wanted to try the specialty restaurant, but we had to stick to the family agenda for dinner. The drinks we're ok. I thought perhaps a bit pricey, but then again, we were in our mid twenties then and in prime drinkning condition.

Entertainment: Meh. Usually enteraining, sometimes funny, but nothing spectactular or even that good. We might have missed out on somethings ( I really don;t remeber any live music), but the events put together were ok, and the shows usually kept us entertained.

Casino/Lounges: We liked the Casino, there were some nice dealers and we kept ourselves busy there. The "nightclub" was pretty week. It always felt there was always the same 5 of us there. The other lounges didn;t have much to offer either. Rarely did we find any stimulating. Relaxing, yes, but not really lively.

Ports: We only did one excursion - a snorkel, I think on St. Thomas, which was not too bad - I enjoyed it as it was my frst time snorkling, but others who had been before were somewhat diappointed. Other than that, some beaches and a couple of restaurants. There is an italian restaurant on USVI, hopefully it;s still there - it was fantastic and the owners/people were great. Try to find it!

Overall the cruise was a bit low key for our tastes, but I guess we kind of expected that. We may cruise again on our own, but we'd either find a small intimate ship, or just go superhuge. On our own, we probably wouldn't do HAL, just so we could something else.

Publication Date: 02/14/11