Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by Natfan

Cabin Category: ID
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Natfan
I decided to take the last cabin aboard the Sky after having just returned from a 9 day cruise on the Dawn( My favorite NCL ship other than the Epic). I have been on 17 cruises, with 8 on NCL, and now am a loyal NCL freestyle cruising fan. The reason I went on the Sky was because I got snowed out of coming home due to multiple blizzards.

I found the Sky of course to be older and outdated from the newer ships in the fleet, but I knew that would be the case. I found the staff, crew, service, and food aboard to be up to NCL standards.

I was disappointed with several things however. Of course we were unable to stop at Great Stirrup Cay due to the weather, so we only got one port of call in Nassau. I did go on a tour to Atlantis and enjoyed seeing it, but probably would not go back.

I know it is a short cruise, but was disappointed with the on board music and entertainment in general(or lack thereof). The comedian/magician Tim Pupura was the worst I have ever seen on a ship (especially after having just seen Jeff Hobson on the Epic). I have no problem with diversity of music, culture, or people, but was disappointed that on the only island sail away the Caribbean band was nowhere to be found, but a two man Hispanic guitar and bongo player(performing in Spanish much less) were performing on deck by the pool. I go to the islands to hear Caribbean music played by a Caribbean band on deck when sail away occurs. We were fortunate to hear them 1 day only. Also, a Hispanic duet was singing in the atrium in Spanish. We had to seek out music in English. I know the shorter cruise caters to it's market on weekends, which certainly would be Hispanics from South Florida, and I have no problem with that, but half the passengers on board who are not Hispanic were forced to find venues of music in English or American in nature from 50's rock and roll to more modern,if at all due to the overall lack of music and entertainment. Even the cruise director kept saying over and over that due to the large diversity on board, there is a large diversity of entertainment planned, as if to forewarn passengers. I definitely felt there was a lack of on board activities.

I would recommend the Sky to first time cruisers, but I would never sail on the Sky for a short cruise. Being an experienced cruiser, I enjoy more quality, quantity, and variety on longer cruises. Also, there were so many small children aboard, the longer cruises generally attract a 40-60 crowd which is a better fit for me. I also (just my preference) prefer a slightly more upscale clientele, without being arrogant or snobby either.

Publication Date: 02/14/11