Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by toomuchluggage: A Not So Good Cruise! And a ship full of Attitude!

toomuchluggage
Member Since 2010
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Southern Caribbean Cruises

A Not So Good Cruise! And a ship full of Attitude!

Sail Date: January 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean

After sailing the NCL EPIC 14 days we took a shuttle from Miami to Fort Lauderdale to sail first time on Carnival and was not impressed!

Started off on the wrong foot by having my hard sided luggage one corner pushed in and cracked, luggage had lots of yellow paint skids all over it. I know it's not Carnivals fault but they need to know about it and handle the situation which they did but not without a hassle.

We found the ship to be just down right hideous! I had a headache for three days from the decor of the ship, too many patterns clashing from bark prints to snake skin and everything in between from floor to ceiling.

The atrium with the protruding lights from floor to ceiling reminded me of a red face kid with a face full up pimples that were all ready to pop.

The steakhouse reminded me of Liberace's bathroom, for anyone that has been to his now closed museum would know what I'm talking about.

Service in the cafe area was all attitude More from the floor staff to those behind the counters every day.

One day while waiting for pizza my partner witnessed the male behind the counter slamming and throwing the pizza pans and dishes, he decided not to stay so I went up and witnessed the same except I saw him whip a pizza onto a plate which missed the plate and went to the floor.

WE saw a woman whose large toe was bleeding while we were sitting having lunch, she said someone had stepped on her foot and she thought her nail was ripped. She was with about 3/4 other people and I heard one of them say something about still being on blood thinners. As they were looking for help I told the woman to sit down and elevate her foot up on to the lounge seating to slow the bleeding, I gave her some tissues that I had in my bag along with a bottle of hand sanitizer and then got her a couple cloth napkins. In the meantime I saw staff being asked to get some help and they just stood there doing nothing. Finally someone in their party saw a staff person all in white and asked him to get a wheel chair all in all took over 10 minutes.

Mean while we try to finish lunch and watched for someone to come and clean the trail of blood to no avail then we see one person walking through with bare feet but does miss walking in it.

I finally had had enough and asked for someone to get me the manager, when he arrived a ripped into him about what had just happened as well as the pizza episode. It turned out to be the head maiter'd who we saw every evening moving throughout the upper and lower level of Posh.

We only ate where there was no line up so most mornings was grab a bowl, box of cereal, carton of milk and a banana. For lunch we usually got either a slice of pizza or sandwich from deli, again where there was no line up.

Bottom line is that the cafe is just poorly setup and crammed together.

Dinner in Posh upper level. Service was ok with one great wait staff and one with attitude. We had 6 dinners there with two being not so good such as grisly veal parma served with potatoes and some sort of baby food looking pureed yam ( I had to ask what the stuff was). Since when was veal parma served with potatoes and yams, what happened to pasta.

The other was tough beef stroganoff.

Yes I'm aware that I could have sent these meals back but that's not my point!

The appetizers were always good and there was always a large selection.

We had two meals in the Sun Steakhouse, 1st night and second to last night. Note that they offered a free bottle of wine on the 1st night which was a good deal.

The food was excellent as was the service. Well worth the extra fee.

During our cruise we got to talk to a couple staff. One was from the art gallery and the other was a wait staff and it was through these two that we realized that there was a real moral problem on board.

Smoke was another negative through out the ship including the no smoking area of casino were people were still lighting up. And when leaving upper floor of Posh you ran right into a wall of cigar smoke wafting out of the Havana room where the doors were constantly kept open. There just seemed to be smoke everywhere.

I'm glad that this was not our first cruise as it would have been our last!

Reply With Quote Less