Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by BringTheHammock: Celebrity Solstice January 2011

BringTheHammock
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity Solstice January 2011

Sail Date: January 2011

Spent 7 days on the Solstice from 1/30/11-2/6/11. This is my 15th or 16th cruise. I've sailed on everything from the defunct Hawaiian Cruise Lines to Paul Gaugan/Regent. My wife and I booked this trip as a "get away from the kids for a week" cruise. Having been on many different styles and "levels" of ships, we chose luxury over activity. Seeing this rated as a 5.5 star ship, it was an easy pick. I have found that you often trade "activity" on a ship for an older crowd but better food. Here's my brief review:

SHIP: Very nice ship. There was a Norovirus outbreak prior to our sailing and we waited an extra 2 hours at the port before boarding. They needed to sanitize the ship. By day 2, they had removed the bread baskets, salt/pepper shakers, and anything else you could touch from the tables as we apparently had an outbreak on our ship. It became a bit humorous with all the announcements saying, "Mr. Purell to Deck 8." Thankfully neither of us got sick and they did a great job More sanitizing. The features on the ship are nice, but it lacks the extravagant "main lobby" that many of the older ships have. The deck layout is intuitive, there are plenty of "nooks" to hide out in, and the upper deck "lawn" was really cool. Some people complained of a lack of deck chairs by the pool, but we didn't find it a problem. The lawn was removed on the 6th day of the cruise for a "hardier turf." I wonder if that happens every cruise. I did notice that the shows were completely packed, as were the "guest lectures" on Pirates and the Bermuda Triangle. Having the muster drill in the auditorium was nice, no life preservers or anything.

FOOD: The food in the dining room was decent. It really was hit or miss when it came to the entrees. There are 2 options at dinner, a constant food menu and a variable food menu. The constant was available everyday, the variable obviously changed with each meal. I found the constant to be lacking. Artisan cheese usually consists of more than cheddar, swiss, and blue. Digressing... The variables were hit or miss. I would rely on the waiter since they ate this same food every week. The best dish in 7 nights? The quail, by far. The lobster might as well have been shrimp. I found the majority of meals tasted as though they were reheated frozen food. However, the portion sizes were appropriate and you didn't feel "stuffed" or "famished." The exception was the Tuscana restaurant. Wonderful view out the back of the boat (great when you are pulling out of port). The food was exceptional. Tasted as though it was prepared right then and there. Only issue was the amount was absurd. I think they compensate for the high fee ($30/pp). By the end of soup, I was done. Regardless, I recommend paying the price, at least 1 time.

Drinks? $2.30 for a coke. yep, 1 coke. For the remainder, $5-15/drink. The beverage deals are no deal. For the premium, it only covers up to $11 drinks (not the highest specialty drinks), and it works out to having 7 drinks per day in order to make it worth it. Keep that up and you might as well eat 3 desserts every day! Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Deluxe Oceanveiw Stateroom Continental Deck (6) 9120

Old town. Recommend eating dinner there. Look up a restaurant before you go. The forts are sparse but interesting. Only $3 to get in. Otherwise, San Juan is lacking in anything unique. Jewelry, watches, and liquor in old town.

Read 1365 San Juan Reviews

This used to be a very quaint, sophisticated island. Not so much anymore. The Dutch side is Philipsburg. A very nice, busy beach. Lots of ocean side bars. Nothing worth buying unless you have an interest in jewelry, watches, or liquor. If that's the case, I counted no less than 35 jewelry stores... one after another. Marigot on the French side is small, but has a market with a few unique sellers. Costs $7 to get there if you ride with others. Do this in the morning as the traffic worsens as the day goes on.

Very nice. Clean port, $4 fair to "downtown." Stay in the alleys for unique shopping, otherwise you go to the same shops located everywhere else in the Caribbean. Highly recommend the SOS Antiques -> shipwreck salvage store with lots of unique objects.

Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews