Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by florifun: As good as Azamara

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

As good as Azamara

Sail Date: January 2011

My husband and I are retired seniors who have begun sailing recently and appreciate the ease and comfort, especially in contrast to the camping vacations we used to take.

The trip on the Oasis was just our fifth cruise but after an Azamara Mediterranean cruise with just 600 fellow passengers, we felt we were spoiled and expected a let down. Not!

After this 7-day cruise we decided it was as wonderful in its way as the Azamara Journey, except for the ports. Costa Maya was as awful as we remembered and expected and, although Labadee was a pretty beach, it was unexciting. Don't bother renting mats as there are plenty of hammocks if you just want to lay around and read, as we did. I did have fun with my swim with the dolphins in Cozumel-fantastic!

The dining was, overall, excellent. We had My Time dining and chose to share a table for most dinners. As we arrived when it suited ourselves, we were seated at many spots but experienced excellent service and food More everywhere and enjoyed meeting other guests, all of whom were interesting and friendly. As everyone says, the Windjammer is too busy but we solved the problem by lunching in the Solarium. I suggest you avoid the Seafood Shack. My fish sandwich was half strong tasting dark fatty fish. Park Place has a nice lunch or snack spot with great soups, salads and roast beef sandwiches. You can pick up potato chips bags for munching in the cabin here. Room service breakfast on the balcony was fun but many mornings were chilly so we either ate in the cabin or at the dining room buffet. If you like an early cup of coffee before you get going, there is a spot on deck 5, the Promenade, where you can get take out and a delicious raison bread that was almost cake.

The best thing about the cruise was the entertainment which was all amazing! We were so surprised by the caliber of the diving, swimming, skating, and acrobatics. These were highly produced shows with fast action, flashy fun effects and Olympic quality athletes. The comics were very funny, the headliners were very good, the classical guitarist who we caught one night in Park Place was superb! And Hair Spray was as good as Broadway. We felt that the food and entertainment were worth the cost of the cruise!

I went on the zip line and was real proud of myself. The bragging rights alone were worth it. I also took a turn on the merry go round. One day the spa folks were giving free treatments on the Promenade deck and I got my nails polished. We won a book of the art on the ship at a tapas and champagne reception in the gallery... so many highlights!

Just a word about the art on the ship. There are over 9,000 pieces of original art aboard and it is wonderful stuff. We took different flights of stairs to see the art on the landings, stopped at every viewer we encountered to peek at 3-d photos, and overall felt that we were on a moving museum of fine accessable contemporary art. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 6224