Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by litlvxn

Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: AC
Cabin Number: D201
See More About: Caribbean Princess Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Caribbean Princess 1-30-11, Southern Caribbean Explorer
Great overall cruise. From the time I walked through the doors of the terminal and baggage check, I was on the ship in less than 15 minutes. Disembarkation was a breeze as well, getting off the ship literally in 20 minutes from the time I arrived at my designated staging area. Customs took very little time as well. I have very unique luggage so I found mine in 1 minute inside the terminal. Others took a little longer :)

Service in dining room and cabin was top-notch. Menu was quite diverse, with seafood, veal, lamb, beef, chicken, etc. being offered regularly. Since it was a Caribbean cruise, the menu had some "spice" to it, with recipes tailored to the Caribbean theme. Standard items were offered nightly too on the menu. Desserts were darn tasty. Extensive wine list, marked up of course, but is to be expected. Ate sushi at Vines while doing a wine flight tasting. Sushi was mediocre at best. I did not eat at the specialty restaurants since I have previously tried them on other Princess cruises. Buffet was surprisingly good. I did not eat breakfast or lunch in the dining room.

I personally did not attend any shows or activities, other than the Princess Pop Star (karaoke contest) which was extremely popular. The finale was a packed house and is not to be missed. There were a lot of very talented cruisers on board.

Very nice casino with lots of options for tables and slot machines. Very professional casino hosts. The casino now runs like most other ships, using your cruise card and a PIN number system. Very easy to use once you set it up, though it can get scary if you don't keep yourself in check since you can just keep charging slots to your cabin :)

The ship itself is expansive but really never felt crowded to me. The adults-only "Sanctuary" area looked beautiful and inviting, but I did not go there since we had only one day at sea and I had massage planned mid-day. The deep-tissue massage with Dolores was fantastic, effective and relaxing, but not cheap. They do try and sell you Elemis products, but a polite "no" went over just fine. The products felt great though during the massage!!

Had a problem with my in-cabin wake-up call service. Front desk promised to call me in the morning since I could not use the self-serve method. Front desk personnel forgot and I nearly missed an excursion I was really looking forward to. They offered to just comp me the cost of the excursion. Instead I persuaded them to hold the tour and allow me 5 minutes to run to the elevator. They sent me a letter of apology and some canapes to my cabin as a way of making up for their error. Handled very well in the end.

Used the ship's transfer to airport in San Juan which was efficient and inexpensive. Got me there with plenty of time to spare for my flight at 11:45am.

I would definitely sail on this ship again, and I loved the itinerary.

Publication Date: 02/09/11