Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by AimeeJ: Fun for all but . . .

AimeeJ
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Western Caribbean Cruises

Fun for all but . . .

Sail Date: January 2011

We are a family that has found cruising the Caribbean to be the perfect winter getaway! Our party includes 30+ husband and wife with a teenage daughter and 60+ father. This was our first sailing with Celebrity and we choose to sail on the Equinox because of the itinerary first and Celebrity's wonderful reputation second. We were aware that Celebrity is enjoyed by more mature passengers but have to admit a bit of culture shock upon arrival at the port and realized that our party was about the youngest there, including my father.

Equinox is a beautiful ship and we found it easy to find our way around. It wasn't long until we felt at home. We loved the library and the comfortable lounge chairs on the deck. The solarium was always quiet and peaceful. We enjoyed the number of whirlpools and there was always room available whenever we wanted to soak. The smoker in our party was pleasantly surprised at the several areas that allowed smoking. The entertainment was good and the More musicians talented.

We were disappointed the the two main pools were not heated and found the water too cold to swim during the trip. We also found the schedule for the evening shows conflicted with our late dinner seating. Our past experiences have been to see the shows before a late dinner but the first show didn't start until 8pm with the second usually around 10 to 11 pm. We found the main dinning room cramped and difficult to move in. It was nice to be able to ask our room attendant for a menu from the main dinning room to order room service. We had several nice meals on our balcony.

The food reviews were mixed among our party so I would attribute most disappointment with a given meal to personal taste as opposed to problems with the quality of food. There was a general agreement that sauces were bland though.

There was a teen program available but my daughter never found anyone participating and after a couple of days didn't even bother to try and check it out. She spent a lot of time with us. (When does that happen during the teen years??? I can't complain about that!) At 16 she was allowed almost anywhere on the ship but the guidelines on the ship were for under 16 to be supervised. Our impression was that if you have active kids that need to hangout with others in their age group that they would be disappointed.

A final note about up-selling - there was a lot of it! One of the reasons we like cruising is the inclusiveness of the experience. We found the constant push to "upgrade" our experience wearing, especially for 11 days. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Concierge Class Panorama Deck (9) 2143

Limited storage space apart from the nice size closet. Bathroom felt roomy to everyone except my "big and tall" husband. Enjoyed the convenience of deck 12 but found the noise from the Ocean View Cafe above us to be noticeable at times. Trundle bed from the couch made moving in the room difficult in evenings and mornings. Discovered that there can be a such a thing as too many pillows! Concierge amenities not worth the upgraded price to us.

I loved Cartagena! We only had 7 hours in port so for the first time I booked a private excursion as I really wanted to be able to experience this city. We used Dora De Zubiria and it was wonderful. Our guide was knowledgeable and friendly and our driver was excellent. We visited the monuments La Popa and the Fuerte San Felipe de Barajas and then walked around the walled area of the old city. The only thing I wondered was with all the local vendors, why was everyone selling the exact same items. I certainly would have been more tempted to buy had I seen something unique.

Colon in Panama was a facinating port from start to finish. Just looking at the amount of traffic in the port was educational. We visited Gutan lake and again saw a wonderful variety of wildlife before going to the Canal. There were several ships passing through and we were able to really watch the workings of the Canal. To me this was a real must do if you have never had the experience of being to Panama before.

Having been to Cozumel before we did not plan an excursion. We walked downtown and had a wonderful lunch at a place called Jeanies (sp?). The people are friendly and once you leave the usual chaos of the port area we enjoyed just looking around and talking to the local people.

Read 3121 Cozumel Reviews

Our experience at Port Everglades was efficient and well planed. We drove from Central Florida and had no problem finding the port. We used off site parking for Park n Go with an Internet coupon. Our experience was friendly and would recommend them to anyone. Simple things such as a small bottle of water for everyone in our party on check out really made the difference. My only complaint at the was a lack of porters at both embark and debark. Thank goodness we have learned not to over pack! Celebrity employees were efficient and focused on getting you on the ship. We arrived just after noon and found no benefit for concierge service.

Grand Cayman was our last stop and if you like shopping this was the port for you. We booked a horseback riding excursion on the beach and had a lovely time. Being from Florida, I can say Grand Cayman's atmosphere is very much like being at home. For us the day was more about taking it easy.

The port is all industrial with a small local bazaar. The area around the port is poor and I don't think I would have felt safe exploring on my own here. We took an excursion to the rain forest and was shown traditional chocolate making. Yummy! We saw lots of wildlife: sloths, toucans and the biggest iguana I'd ever seen in my life. Our guide was wonderful and informative. Lunch was local food and very enjoyable. The only downfall was the 2.5 hour drive there and back but we did get to see was a beautiful country Costa Rica is.

This was my favorite port of the trip. Roatan is a beautiful island and we found the port area nice. We took an excursion to Tabyana beach. This was advertised through the ship as a private beach but it is really just a beach area next to some resorts. Snorkeling and lunch were included in the package but we were shocked to find out that to go out away from the more casual swimmers you needed to pay a guide! In fact, there were many vendors all over the beach offering beach activities for a price. I guess that just isn't what I think of when I here "private" beach. The coral was nice but I imagine that to see more wildlife you needed to swim away from the activity. The lunch was ok but all American style. I would of liked to have had a choice of more local flavors.

Read 1649 Roatan Reviews