Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Natfan: Epic Adventure!

Natfan
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Epic Adventure!

Sail Date: January 2011

I also would say that it was the best vacation I have ever been on! The Epic is massive, magnificent, and majestic. It is the most technologically advanced ship I have ever been on. One small example is the photo gallery where you go to a kiosk, put in your room card, and order your photos. They also have the photo copies in a binder with your room number.No more looking for photos over a deck long, crowded photo gallery. I booked all the shows, speciality dining, and shore excursions and never waited more than 10 minutes or at all despite 4,300 passengers.

Embarkation was quick and effortless, as well as disembarkation as we waltzed right off with no waiting. We enrolled in the "bags program" where we never saw our luggage midnight the night before docking until we arrived home at the airport.

The Epic had the best entertainment I have ever seen in my 17 cruises- Blue Man Group, Legends in Concert, Second City Comedy Troupe, Howl at the moon dueling pianos, Cirque More de Soleil Dinner Theatre, and Slam Allen and his blues band. Dancing while awaiting dinner to a show band was so romantic in the Manhattan Supper Club main restaurant( one of 20 eating venues and restaurants on board). Jeff Hobson was a fantastic comedian and magician.

Food was good, service was excellent, and all staff was courteous and friendly at all times.

Freestyle cruising on NCL is second to none. I would like to address some concerns posted in reviews about the Epic. I am an avid non-smoker, but the "smoking" issue of the casino was not a big issue. You can either walk to avoid the casino, or walking through it is not that bad as advertised by some. There is no top jogging deck around the ship, but with one of the largest fitness centers at sea with the latest equipment, or the half deck jogging track on a lower deck, I am sure the small percentage of 4300 passengers could find somewhere to run. With our inside cabin, the room set up, separate shower and toilet, and small sink in the room was a non-issue. We were both able to get ready at the same time.

I have some suggestions-If you are overweight/obese, you should get a larger room. If you have trouble with large venues, or with ambulation(walking), consider a smaller ship.

There are enough reviews and information out there for you to research to see if this vessel is a good "fit" for you or not. Do so, instead of sailing and bellyaching about it afterwords. It's a great fit- crowd mostly 40-60 (our age), lively with entertainment, and freestyle cruising. So many don't like freedom to do what you want, so continue on other cruise lines. I have been on 5 different cruise lines, and will never sail on anything but NCL ever again. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 11026

Very comfortable bed, I am 6 ft. and the best was long enough for me to be completely on it. The room (inside cabin) had more storage space than previous inside cabins, and was extremely quiet as I never heard a sound. The in room sink, and separate shower and commode was NO Problem whatsoever.

We went to the Blue Lagoon private island, but next time in Nassau will probably be spent on the ship with the pool to myself.

Read 2666 Nassau Reviews

St. Martin is lovely, as we do excursions to beaches at ports of call. Orient Beach is beautiful, but will look for a different, less crowded beach next time there. There were so many people on the beach that day, as there were 5 ships in port, and you could hardly find a place to lay a towel in the sand for the sardine like lineup of beach lounge chairs for much of the beach.

We did a trip to Magen's Bay, one of my favorite Caribbean beaches. We will probably go to St. John next time as this wonderful beach was the most crowded as I have ever seen it in my 6 trips there.

Read 2342 St. Thomas Reviews